This Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken recipe is so sweet and savory that you are going to love it. It’s restaurant quality and will be on your plate in less than 30 minutes. The perfect Instant Pot chicken recipe for a weeknight dinner.
I am always trying to create quick and easy meals with lots of flavors. One of my favorite meals is Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts. I love this recipe so much because of its sweet and savory sauce. I love how easy it is to make in just one pot and that just about any side dish tastes amazing with it.
So I decided to try and make it in my Instant pot. I tried several different ways to cook the chicken, and decided full chicken breast are the best way to get it done. When cooking the entire chicken breast in the sauce. It gets infused with all the wonderful flavors from the spices and ingredients. It comes out so moist and juicy. Then all you have to do is shred the chicken and mix it in the tasty garlic sauce.
One of my favorite ways to eat this instant pot pulled chicken is over rice. But, it goes well over just about anything. I have put it in pretzel buns, over noodles and quinoa. I have even added a bunch of green onion and turned it into a dip.
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Ingredients
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts: You will need about four medium-sized chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Butter: My go-to is unsalted butter and it can be substituted for olive oil.
- Low sodium chicken broth: This will infuse the chicken with flavor while cooking in the pressure cooker.
- Honey: This is what is going to give this dish it’s sweetness.
- Low sodium soy sauce: I prefer low sodium because the standard soy sauce is too salty for me.
- Apple cider vinegar: This will add just the right amount of tang.
- Garlic: Make sure to use fresh garlic. You want to add a lot of flavor to the chicken.
- Onion powder: This adds another great flavor to the chicken and works well with the garlic and pepper.
- Salt: I like to keep my sodium intake down. So I tend to use less salt than most people. You can adjust to your liking.
- Black Pepper: Personally, I don’t think there is a thing as to much black pepper. But there is the perfect amount and you can adjust to your liking.
- Red pepper flakes: It adds the perfect amount of zing to this recipe. But, you can skip it.
- Water: Tap water will be fine. No reason to get fancy here.
- All-purpose flour: This is what will thicken your sauce and make it stick to the chicken. I like mine on the thinner side so you can adjust by adding more or less.
How To Make Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken:
Follow this recipe you will get the juiciest honey garlic pulled chicken ever:
Start by adding four whole chicken breasts to your Instant Pot or pressure cooker of your choice. There will be no need to spray the pot with a non-stick spray. Then pour the chicken broth over the chicken and add honey, unsalted butter, low sodium soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, onion powder, black pepper, and a pinch of red pepper for a little zing.
Place the lid on your Instant Pot and lock it into place. Turn pressure release valve to sealing, then select pressure cook, high pressure. Cook for 8 minutes. It will take 10 minutes for the pressure to build up. Before the cooking timer starts to count down. When the timer runs out let the pressure release on its own. This will be about 10 minutes. Wait for the safety valve to drop before removing the lid.
Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and set aside. Then in a small bowl add 1/4 cup of water and gradually pour in the flour while whisking. Keep mixing until the mixture is completely lump-free. Tip: You can add the flour and water to a small Tupperware container. Then shake it until it is lump-free. Pour flour mixture into the Instant Pot and mix with sauce until it is well combined.
Shred the chicken with two forks. Use one to hold the chicken and the other the pull the chicken apart. Once all the chicken has been shredded. Turn the Instant Pot to saute and add the chicken back in and saute for 2-3 minutes. Mix occasionally until the sauce begins to thicken and the chicken is fully covered in sauce.
Serve as desired and garnish with sesame seeds and diced green onion.
How Can I make This Gluten-Free?
To make this chicken recipe gluten-free. All you need to do is replace the all-purpose flour with corn starch. Start by slowly mixing 1/4 cup of corn starch into 1/4 cup of water. Mix or whisk until the mixture is completely lump-free. You will want to check the label on your cornstarch. Some brands of cornstarch are processed in the same facilities as foods containing gluten.
Variations on this Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken:
- You can add veggies and turn it into a stir fry. Some of my favorites to add are baby corn, sugar snap peas, bell peppers, water chestnuts, carrots, and broccoli. This way you don’t have to worry about sides. Because they are built into the meal.
- Use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. They are great if you really want juicy chicken. You can cook them with the skin on or off. If you leave the skin on you may want to broil them to crisp up the skin. If you use bone-in chicken thighs. There is no need to add extra cooking time to the pressure cooker.
- Use chunks of chicken instead of an entire chicken breast. Cut the chicken up in to bite size pieces around 3/4 inch. Then reduce the cook time by 2-3 minutes.
How to Store Honey Garlic Chicken:
The best way to store your honey garlic chicken is in an airtight container. I will stay good for about 3-4 days and make great leftovers. You can also free it. You will need to let the chicken completely cool down. Then add it to a freezer bag. Letting it cool down will make it so there is no condensation and will help it from getting freezer burn. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ⅔ cup honey
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp water
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Add chicken breasts to the Instant Pot. Then, add butter, chicken broth, honey, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and lock it into place. Turn pressure release valve to sealing, then select pressure cook, high pressure. Cook for 8 minutes. It will take 10 minutes for the pressure to build up. Before the cooking timer starts to count down. When the timer runs out let the pressure release on its own. About 10 minutes. Wait for the safety valve to drop before removing the lid.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Then slowly start mixing 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour into 1/4 cup of water. Mix or whisk until the mixture is completely lump-free. Pour slurry into sauce and mix until well incorporated.
- Add chicken back into Instant Pot. Use to fork to shred the chicken until it at your desired consistency.
- Turn the Instant pot to saute and combine the chicken into the sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
- Serve as desired and garnish with sesame seeds and diced green onion.
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!