If you love tomato soup, this Crockpot Tomato Soup recipe will knock your socks off. Fresh basil, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and cream simmered in a slow cooker, makes this the perfect soup recipe to enjoy any time of the year.
When the weather starts to cool down, I love to pull out all of my soup recipes and enjoy them curled up on the couch. This easy Crockpot Tomato Basil Soup is so simple to prepare and pairs well with a warm grilled cheese sandwich. Throw the ingredients in the slow cooker and let them simmer all day. If you love easy soup recipes, you will want to try our Instant Pot Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup and Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.
Ingredients for Crockpot Tomato Soup
- Diced Tomatoes: Don’t drain the water from canned diced tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce: You can substitute tomato soup for tomato sauce.
- Half And Half: You can substitute heavy cream for half and half.
- Chicken Broth: Adds a great flavor to the tomato soup, but you can substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth.
- Fresh Basil: Fresh basil has great flavor, so you don’t want to substitute it for dried basil.
- Onion: I prefer to finely chop the onion to allow it to puree easier.
- Minced Garlic: I always have a jar of fresh minced garlic in my fridge. This will save you the time of chopping and mincing whole cloves.
- Salt: Add more or less salt to taste.
- Pepper: Add more or less pepper to taste.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: I prefer to use fresh grated parmesan cheese because of the flavor and it also melts better.
- Unsalted Butter: I prefer to use unsalted butter in recipes which allows you to control the salt content.
- Flour: I use all purpose flour in this recipe to make the roux.
How to make Crockpot Tomato Soup
- Start by adding diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1 cup half and half, chicken broth, fresh basil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper to a crock pot. Stir ingredients well to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or low for 3-4 hours.
- Once cooked, puree soup with a hand blender, or a large stand blender until smooth and chunks are completely gone. Pour pureed soup back into the crock pot and turn setting to low.
- Prepare a roux to thicken soup by melting butter in a small sauce pan. Add flour and stir to combine. Slowly whisk 1 cup of half and half until roux become smooth and creamy.
- Add 1 cup of your cooked pureed tomato soup and whisk until combined.
- Pour your roux into the crock pot of tomato soup and whisk ingredients well.
- Stir in parmesan cheese, cover and let soup cook on low for an additional 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Ladle tomato basil soup into bowls and top with parmesan cheese, and croutons if desired. Enjoy!
Can I make Tomato Soup in the Instant Pot?
The answer to this question is yes. If you prefer to make this recipe in the Instant Pot, simply add tomatoes, tomato sauce, half and half, chicken broth, basil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Lock the lid and cook on the manual setting for 8 minutes on high pressure. Once it has cooked, release the pressure completely and remove the lid. Blend soup by using a hand blender in the pan or by pouring it into a blender. Be carful with the hot soup. Once blended, prepare roux and add parmesan cheese as directed on the recipe card.
How to freeze tomato soup
Prepare soup as directed and allow it to fully cool down. Add soup to a large freezer ziplock bag, label and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to thaw soup, simply immerse the container in warm water to loosen the frozen soup from the sides. Then pop it out directly into a pot and let it thaw over medium-low heat, stirring to keep the soup from scalding.
Crockpot Tomato Soup
- 2 15oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
Roux (butter and cream mixture)
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup pureed tomato soup from crock pot
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, 1 cup half and half, fresh basil, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper to a large crock pot.
- Stir until well combined, cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or low for 3-4 hours.
- Once cooked puree soup with a hand blender, or a large stand blender. Pour pureed soup back into the crock pot and turn setting to low.
- In a small sauce pan melt butter. Add flour and stir until combined. Slowly whisk in 1 cup half and half until mixture become smooth and becomes a roux to thicken the soup.
- Add 1 cup of your cooked pureed tomato soup to your roux, and whisk ingredients until smooth.
- Add Roux to tomato soup in crock pot and whisk ingredients well until fully combined.
- Stir in fresh grated parmesan cheese, cover and let soup cook for another 20 minutes or until the parmesan cheese has melted.
- Ladle tomato soup into bowls, top with parmesan cheese, and croutons if desired.
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!