Ever since I was a little girl this homemade chicken noodle soup recipe has been my favorite. I can remember my mom making it with fresh bread. It used to fill the house with the most amazing smell. So I took my moms recipe and made a few subtle changes to make it my own. This soup is so creamy and has the perfect amount of flavor. You can put together in under 30 minutes and it will be a big hit with the family. Easy comfort food for any day of the week!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
So in my opinion everything tastes a little bit better if it is creamy. So I turned the original version into a creamy chicken noodle soup. There are two ways to do this. You can add heavy cream or add a creamy soup base. I chose to add cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup. It adds a lot more flavor then just heavy cream. When it is creamy it is the perfect comfort food for a weeknight dinner or to make someone feel better when they are sick.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
- Large chicken breasts
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- Ground Black Pepper
- Parsley Flakes
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Celery stalks with leaves
- Carrots (you can substitute baby carrots)
- Yellow onion
- Onion Powder
- Minced Garlic
- Ground Black Pepper
- Cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
- Fresh frozen egg noodles. These can be found in the freezer section of your favorite grocer.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
You will start off by coating the chicken with 2 teaspoons of olive oil on both sides. Then season the chicken with the salt, pepper, paprika, dried parsley. Coat both sides evenly with the seasonings.
Next, heat the remaining oil and butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear on both sides until golden brown, 5-6 minutes per side. Make sure not to over cook the chicken. It will continue to cook in the soup base. Remove chicken and save the drippings in the pan.
In the same pan add, carrots, celery (include leaves), and onion. Cook for 5-8 minutes until they start to soften.
Transfer the cook vegetables to a large pot. Add, water, chicken broth, cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, thyme, minced garlic, salt, ground black pepper and bring to a boil. Stirring occasionally until it comes to a boil.
While the soup base is coming to a boil. Chop the cooked chicken breast into 3/4 cubes. Once the soup base has reached a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add chicken.
Next, pull the egg noodles apart so that they are not clumped together. Add the the soup base and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
Once the chicken and noodles have comepletely cooked. Let the creamy chicken noodle soup cool for 10 minutes. Then serve with your favorite rolls or bread.
How Do You Add Flavor To Chicken Soup?
This chicken soup already has a ton of flavor, but if you like a bit more zing to your soup. Here are some of my suggestions. Add 1/2 teaspoon more of ground black pepper or 1 tablespoon of chicken bullion. If you would like a little less flavor I would use 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper instead of 1 teaspoon in the recipe. You can also add more water to dilute the soup down a bit.
What Goes Well With Chicken Noodle Soup?
Some of my favorite things with chicken noodle soup are home made Asiago cheese bread bowls. I also really like sweet Hawaiian rolls. But, lets be honest any type bread goes great with the soup. Just as long as you can soak up the left over soup with it.
I love to hear feedback on my recipes. Let me know if you like your chicken noodle soup creamy or the traditional way.
Homemade Chicken Noodle SoupCourse: American Recipes, SoupsCuisine: American
Creamy homemade chicken noodle soup is the classic comfort food that makes you feel good all over!
2 large chicken breasts (6 oz each)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
2 cups chicken broth
3 celery stalks with leaves (2 cups)
3 carrots (2 cups)
1 cup yellow onion diced
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper (use 1/2 teaspoon if you don’t love black pepper)
8 cups of water
2 cans of cream of mushroom or chicken soup
16 oz of fresh frozen egg noodles
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, dried parsley and 2 teaspoons of the oil. Heat the remaining oil and butter in a large pot or pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear on both sides until golden brown, 5-6 minutes per side. Remove chicken.
- Chop chicken breast in to 3/4 cubes and transfer to a plate, tent with foil and set aside.
- Soup Base
- In the same pan or pot add, carrots, celery (include leaves), and onion. Cook for 5-8 minutes until they start to become soft.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a large pot. Add water, chicken broth, cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, thyme, minced garlic, salt, ground black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium and add chopped chicken.
- Separate egg noodles and add to pot. Cook on medium for 15 minutes.
- You can add more water if you think the flavor is to strong. Add 1 cup at a time so you don’t dilute it to much.
- You can use a rotisserie chicken. Just shred or chop it and use about 2 cups.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
More Recipes You Might Like
- The Best Meat Loaf Recipe – This goes amazing with these garlic mashed potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories241
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.8g 14%
- Cholesterol 34mg 12%
- Sodium 874mg 37%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 2.3g 10%
- Sugars 3.8g
- Protein 10.2g 21%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.