Are you looking for a delicious, easy meal to make on Sunday night? Look no further than chicken tetrazzini! This recipe is made with spaghetti, chicken, and mushrooms tossed in a creamy white sauce. It’s perfect for big families because it’s budget-friendly and tastes great. All the ingredients are easily found at your local grocery store or farmer’s market. Give this dish a try tonight!
When it comes to family dinners, I am always looking for something easy to make that everyone will enjoy (and something budget-friendly is helpful too!). I usually turn to casseroles like this chicken broccoli rice casserole or whipping up a big batch of beefy chili in the Instant Pot since I can make big portions, doesn’t take a lot of my time and there’s a little something for everyone.
This week, I wanted to make something a bit different and was craving Italian. I decided to try this chicken tetrazzini recipe and let me tell you- it was a big hit!
It’s the perfect dish to make for your family. It’s flavorful, comforting, and satisfying- not to mention, it’s packed with spaghetti, chicken, and mushrooms before being baked in a delectable rich white sauce! Don’t forget about that gooey cheesy mozzarella to bring it all together.
This will become your family’s go-to dinner recipe!
Ingredients Needed To Make Easy Chicken Tetrazzini
To make this chicken recipe, here is a quick overview of all the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe as well as a few tips I’ve learned along the way:
- Spaghetti: I used regular spaghetti for this dish but you can use any kind of pasta you like. I will sometimes substitute it for fettuccine or penne pasta.
- Chicken Breasts: It’s easier to use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this pasta recipe. If you prefer dark meat, try using boneless chicken thighs.
- Button Mushrooms: A favorite! You can also use crimini or portobello mushrooms. If you want to get a little crazy, try a medley of mushrooms.
- Garlic and Onions: A must in almost any Italian dish!
- Butter and Flour: You will need these two ingredients to make a roux- the thickening base for the creamy white sauce.
- Heavy Cream: This is what makes the white sauce creamy! To reduce some of the richness, you can cut half of the heavy cream with some milk.
- Spices: To elevate the flavor of this chicken tetrazzini recipe, you will need salt, ground black pepper, and paprika.
- Mozzarella Cheese: A nice addition to top the tetrazzini, but it’s certainly not necessary. I recommend using shredded mozzarella over the fresh kind. As delicious as it is, fresh mozzarella has a harder time melting than shredded does.
- Parsley: Adding a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley adds a bright color and a pop of flavor.
Please note: For a list of exact measurements and instructions to make Italian chicken tetrazzini, scroll down to the recipe card located at the bottom of this post!
Tips For Making Creamy Italian Chicken Tetrazzini
- Make it in advance. This chicken tetrazzini recipe is so easy to throw together for dinner. But, if your day (or week) is really jam-packed, no worries! It can be made the day before or prepped in advance as a freezer meal. That way, you can just throw it in the oven and have a delicious meal in just 30 minutes.
- Change things up to make this gluten-free! That part is actually really easy. To make this gluten-free, use a gluten-free spaghetti and swap out the flour for a 1:1 gluten-free flour for the roux.
- Want to shake things up? Substitute the heavy cream with 3/4 cup of sour cream and 3/4 cup half and half. This will make it a little less creamy, but it will change the flavor profile.
- Try adding frozen peas. This will add a little bit different flavor and texture. It’s also a good way to sneak the veggies in on your kids.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
Before I show you how to make this easy Italian chicken pasta dish, here are a few questions I frequently get asked about this recipe:
How long do you cook chicken tetrazzini?
The best way to determine when your dish is ready for baking is to follow the recipe’s baking instructions. But, cooking time will vary depending on how thick or thin your pasta noodles are and what kind of pan you use (glass vs metal).
How do I know if the chicken is ready?
The best way to check if your chicken is cooked all the way through is by using an instant-read thermometer. To do this, you’ll need to cut into the thickest part of one of the breasts and insert it until you reach about 160ºF.
Can I substitute spaghetti squash for spaghetti noodles?
This chicken tetrazzini recipe will work with spaghetti squash. However, I do not recommend trying to replace the pasta with zucchini because it is much too watery for this dish.
Can you freeze chicken tetrazzini?
Yes! Chicken tetrazzini makes a great freezer meal. Just allow the dish to cool completely before freezing. Then, transfer it into a freezer-safe container and place it in the freezer for up to three months.
When you’re ready to eat, just thaw overnight in the fridge or dump the contents of your frozen chicken tetrazzini straight from the freezer into a casserole dish and bake until it’s hot and bubbly!
Can I use canned mushrooms?
Yes, you can. Canned mushrooms are a great and affordable way to add veggies to this dish. Not to mention, it’s definitely easier to clean up.
What kind of pan should I bake this in?
I recommend using a lightly greased deep baking dish. The recipe works best with an ovenproof, glass or ceramic pan that’s at least two inches tall since the chicken tetrazzini bakes for about 40 minutes in this one-dish dinner!
What can I serve with this chicken tetrazzini dish?
This chicken tetrazzini recipe is delicious on its own (seriously, you won’t need to serve it with any side dishes), but here are some suggestions for pairing this Italian pasta dish with:
Some More Italian Dishes You May Like
- Lasagna Roll Ups Recipe
- One-Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Butternut Squash Ravioli
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear about your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
- 16 ounces thin spaghetti or linquine
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 8 ounces button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- ¼ cup parsley (chopped)
- Boil 8 cups of water with a dash of salt in a large pot. Then, the add spaghetti and cook one minute less than the directions on the box, or until cooked al dente.
- While pasta is cooking sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken breasts. Then, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Let skillet warm up and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Once, butter is completely melted add chicken. Saute until golden brown on both sides. (about 4-5 minutes on each side) Remove chicken an place on cutting board to cool.
- In the same skillet that you cooked chicken in, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to medium-high heat. Then add sliced mushrooms and saute until soft. (about 3-4 minutes) Add diced onions and saute onions until they are golden brown and soft. (about 5-7 minutes) Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute and remove skillet from heat.
- While vegetables are cooking. Chop cooked chicken into ¾ inch chunks and set aside.
- Remove pasta from large pot and drain, set aside. Return pot to medium high heat and add 4 tablespoons of butter and flour, whisk together. Cook until roux is lightly browned. (about 1½ minutes) Add chicken broth, salt, pepper and stir until completely combined. Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and combine chicken, onions, mushrooms and pasta into sauce. With a pair of tongs toss sauce and ingredients until everything is completely coated. Then, add parsley and toss again.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add pasta and sauce mixture to a 13×9 baking dish. Cover pasta mixture with mozzarella cheese. Bake covered with foil for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.