This creamy mozzarella shrimp pasta is one of my family’s favorite meals. There is just the right amount of creamy Alfredo sauce to coat the shrimp and pasta. The red pepper flakes add a tasty twist to this shrimp recipe. Your family will be begging for it for dinner every night!
Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Pasta Ingredients
I have created a shopping list of all the ingredients that you will need for this yummy creamy mozzarella shrimp pasta recipe. You can use any pasta you like, but I prefer penne pasta. You can also substitute the chicken broth with 3/4 cup of leftover pasta water if you prefer a more mild flavor. Another substitution you can do is skip the sauce portion of this recipe, and use our Best Homemade Alfredo Sauce recipe. It is just as creamy without the heat.
- Shrimp – peeled and deveined
- Penne pasta
- Olive oil
- Garlic – minced
- Sun-dried tomatoes – in oil
- Mozzarella cheese – I prefer fresh and not pre-shredded
- Parmesan cheese – I prefer fresh and not pre-shredded
- Half and half – You can make your own by adding equal parts of heavy cream and whole milk.
- Chicken broth
- Black pepper
- Onion powder
- Dried basil
Tips and Tricks
- Don’t overcook the shrimp! Overcooked shrimp is tough and chewy. As soon as the shrimp changes from the grey color to a light pink they are done. This will be 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side depending on the size. Then remove immediately from skillet.
- Use sun-dried tomatoes in a jar that are packed in oil. Sun-dried tomatoes that are dry will not give this dish as much flavor.
- If your sauce is not very creamy add a little more chicken broth. Slowly mix in small amounts until it reaches the consistency that you want.
Creamy Mozzarella Shrimp Pasta
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp (with shell removed and deveined)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 3 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups half and half
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot bring water to a boil and add 1 tsp off salt and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Cook Penne noodles to al dente according to directions listed on the package. Then drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking combine salt, black pepper, onion powder, and paprika in a small bowl and mix together. Then sprinkle envenly over both sides of shrimp.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add in shrimp and cook for 1 minute on each side or until shrimp turns pink with a touch of golden brown. Do not overcook the shrimp. Then remove cooked shrimp and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium, add sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add half and half to skillet and bring to a boil. Then add Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese, and stir until cheese has fully melted and been incorporated. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add chicken broth, dried basil, red pepper flakes, paprika, and black pepper. Mix well and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add cooked pasta to creamy alfredo sauce. Mix until pasta is completely coated. Then add shrimp in and gently mix until shrimp is coated in sauce.
- Serve while hot and garnish with fresh parsley and finely grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
Very easy and very good!
I’m glad you liked it!
I just made this for myself. We thought it was amazing! It was very tasty.
So glad you enjoyed it. It’s one of my families favorites.