This Sweet Potato Chili Recipe can be made in the Instant Pot or slow cooker for an easy weeknight dinner. Tender chunks of sweet potatoes, black beans, tomatoes, and a great mix of seasonings, come together for the perfect chili recipe.
If you are looking for a delicious chili recipe for your family dinner, then look no further! One of my all time favorite comfort foods is warm chili that is hearty and filling. I love the addition of sweet potatoes to take this classic chili recipe to the next level. Trust me, if you haven’t tried this sweet potato recipe, you are missing out. If your looking for more comfort food soups, you must try our Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, or the best Tomato Basil Soup.
Ingredients to make the best Sweet Potato Chili
- Ground Beef
- Yellow Onion
- Chili Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Sweet Potatoes
- Green Bell Pepper
- Beef Broth
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Black Beans
How to make sweet potato chili in the Instant Pot
Making this Sweet Potato Chili Recipe in the Instant Pot only takes 15 minutes to have a delicious and hearty meal on the table. Start by Sautéing your onions in the Instant Pot until they become soft. Add ground beef and continue cooking until the beef is browned. Turn the Instant Pot off of Sauté and add chili powder, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, and minced garlic. Stir to mix seasoning into the beef and onions. Add bell pepper, beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, black beans, and sweet potatoes. Mix ingredients well, and close the lid. Seal and cook on manual for 15 minutes. When the Instant Pot beeps, release the pressure completely. Allow the chili to cool slightly and add your favorite chili toppings.
How to make sweet potato chili in the slow cooker
In a large skillet add ground beef and onions and cook on medium-high heat until browned. Add chili powder, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, minced garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Transfer to a slow cooker and add bell pepper, beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, black beans, and sweet potatoes. Mix ingredients well and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours. Serve with your favorite chili toppings
Can you freeze Sweet Potato Chili
Yes, this chili recipe can easily be made into a freezer meal that can be prepped ahead and pulled out of the freezer when ready to eat. Simply place all ingredients in a large gallon size freezer bag. Label and place chili flat in the freezer. When you are ready to eat, dump ingredients into the slow cooker and follow the instructions above.
Sweet Potato Chili
- Instant Pot
- Slow Cooker
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
Instant Pot Directions
- Turn instant pot on Sauté. Add oil and diced onions and cook until onions are soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook with the onions until brown.
- Turn the instant pot off of sauté and add chili powder, cumin, salt, cayenne powder, minced garlic and stir to combine.
- Add bell pepper, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, black beans, and cubed sweet potatoes. Stir to mix ingredients well.
- Close the lid of the instant pot and seal and cook on manual for 15 minutes.
- When the instant pot beeps, release the pressure completely before removing the lid.
- Allow the chili to cool completely and serve with your favorite chili toppings.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- In a large skillet add ground beef and diced onions and cook until browned.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, minced garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a slow cooker and add sweet potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, and black beans. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Serve with your favorite chili toppings.
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!