This delicious Lemon Blueberry Cake is perfect for any occasion! It’s easy to make and tastes amazing!
There’s nothing like a delicious dessert to finish off a meal. And this Lemon Blueberry Cake is the perfect sweet treat! Made with fresh lemons and blueberries, it’s tart, fruity, and oh-so-delicious. Plus, it’s really easy to make, so you can enjoy a slice any time you want. So, go ahead and give this cake a try, you won’t be disappointed!
What Does Lemon Juice Do To A Cake?
Lemon juice adds a tart, acidic flavor to cakes and other desserts. It can also help to tenderize the crumb of the cake, making it more moist and flavorful. When used in combination with other ingredients like sugar or cream, lemon juice can help to create a light and airy texture. And of course, it also provides a lovely citrus aroma. So, if you’re looking to add a little zing to your cake, give lemon juice a try!
Why You’ll Love Lemon And Blueberry Cake
This Lemon Blueberry Cake is the perfect summer dessert. The light, fluffy cake is studded with fresh blueberries and flavored with a tart lemon glaze. It’s the perfect balance of sweet and tangy, and it’s sure to be a hit at your next barbecue or potluck. Here are three more reasons to love this cake:
- The cake is super easy to make – you don’t need any fancy equipment or ingredients. Just a bowl, a whisk, and a spoon are all you need.
- The recipe is scalable – so whether you’re making it for a crowd or just for yourself, you can easily make as much (or as little) as you want.
- It’s versatile – you can serve it for breakfast with a dollop of yogurt, or as a dessert with a scoop of ice cream.
However you eat it, you’ll love the light, moist cake and the burst of flavor from the blueberries and lemon. So, go ahead and give this cake a try, you’ll be hooked!
Ingredients Needed For Lemon Blueberry Cake
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Lemon Juice, Freshly Squeezed
- Fresh Blueberries
- Powdered Sugar
How To Make The Best Blueberry Lemon Cake
1-Preheat oven to 375F and grease a 9×13 cake pan,
2-In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3-In a large mixing bowl beat together butter and sugar until combined.
4-Add eggs and vanilla extract and continue beating until light and fluffy.
5-Pour milk and 1/4 cup lemon juice into batter and mix until combined.
6-Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
7-In a small bowl toss blueberries with two tsp. flour then gently fold into cake batter.
8-Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
9-While cake is baking, prepare glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and lemon juice.
10-Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool completely.
11-Drizzle glaze over cooled cake, garnish with fresh blueberries if desired before serving. Enjoy!
Tips for Success for Making Blueberry Lemon Cake
- Use fresh blueberries – if you can, try to use fresh blueberries for this recipe. They’ll give the cake the best flavor and texture. However, if you can’t find fresh blueberries, frozen will work too. Just be sure to thaw them before using them.
- Preheat your oven – this may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s important to preheat your oven before you start baking. That way, the cake will cook evenly and rise properly.
- Don’t overmix the batter – when you’re mixing the batter, be careful not to overmix. Overmixing can result in a tough, dry cake. So, mix just until the ingredients are combined.
- Let the cake cool completely – before you glaze the cake, be sure to let it cool completely. Otherwise, the glaze will melt and run off the cake.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container – if you have any cake left over, be sure to store it in an airtight container. This will help to keep the cake moist and delicious.
Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe FAQ’s
Can I use frozen blueberries instead of fresh?
Yes, you can! Just be sure to thaw them completely before adding them to the batter.
What is the best way to store this cake?
Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
Can I make a gluten-free version of this cake?
To make a gluten-free version, simply substitute the all-purpose flour for gluten-free all-purpose flour, and be sure to use gluten-free baking powder.
Does blueberry cake need to be refrigerated?
No, this cake can be stored at room temperature. But if it’s hot and humid where you are, it’s best to store it in the fridge.
Can I freeze lemon blueberry cake?
Yes! This cake freezes well. Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it overnight in the fridge and then let it come to room temperature before serving.
How do I make a vegan version of this cake?
To make a vegan version of this cake, you’ll need to use vegan butter, milk, and eggs. I like to use a flax egg in place of the regular egg. To make a flax egg, simply mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken, then add it to the batter in place of the egg.
This Lemon Blueberry Cake is light, fluffy, and bursting with fresh blueberries. It’s the perfect summer dessert!
More Delicious Cake Recipes
- Banana Bread Cake
- Key Lime Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Bars
- Boston Cream Pie Cake
- The Best Cinnamon Roll Cake
- Strawberry Poke Cake
Lemon Blueberry Cake
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tsp. flour
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a 9×13 cake pan.
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together butter and sugar until combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Pour milk and 1/4 cup lemon juice into batter and mix until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- In a small bowl toss blueberries with two tsp. flour then gently fold into cake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- While cake is baking, prepare glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled cake, garnish with fresh blueberries if desired before serving. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too! Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
This is seriously the BEST cake I’ve ever eaten in my life! Even days after, I was still thinking about it. It’s so perfect for summer.
I’m so glad you love it.