We love to grill at our house and this Huli Huli Chicken has become one of our family favorites. The marinade is easy and full of such amazing flavor! It is the perfect dish for any summer cookout, family BBQ or Luau! Two of our favorite things to add to this flavorful dish are grilled pineapple and Hawaiian macaroni salad.
How Do You Make Huli Huli Chicken?
This easy recipe starts with creating a marinade by whisking together pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, chicken broth, garlic and ginger to the marinade. Place the chicken thighs or chicken breasts into the marinade and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Remove the chicken from the marinade, then grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink and check to make sure the chicken has reached 165°F. Baste the chicken with reserved marinade while it’s on the grill. I like to grill sliced pineapple with this recipe. I will baste the pineapple with the marinade when I baste the chicken. Finally, plate the chicken and pineapple and garnish with green onions before serving.
How Long Do You Marinate Chicken?
The chicken needs to marinate for at least 11/2 hours, but I like to marinate for 8 hours if I have the time. I prefer to use a Ziploc bag. So that I can make sure the marinade covers the chicken. You will not want to go past 8 hours as the acid in the pineapple juice will eventually break down the chicken.
Tips For Huli Huli Chicken
- If you don’t have a grill? You can cook this chicken on a stove top grill pan.
- This recipe calls for boneless skinless chicken thighs, but chicken breasts will also work just fine. I typically will do both, as I have some kids that will not eat chicken thighs.
- I like to serve my chicken with a macaroni salad, grilled pineapple and steamed rice.
- I like to use fresh pineapple with this recipe, but if that is not an option make sure to use pineapple in juice and not in heavy syrup.
Easy Hawaiian Huli Huli Chicken
- 4 Pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (Chicken breasts can be used as well)
- 1 Cup pineapple juice
- ½ Cup lite soy sauce
- ½ Cup brown sugar
- ⅓ Cup ketchup
- 2 Teaspoons fresh ginger (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ cup green onions (sliced)
- Trim excess fat from chicken thighs and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, lite soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, and rice vinegar. Remove ½ cup of the marinade to a bowl and refrigerate for basting.
- Add the chicken thighs to the marinade and marinate for at least 1½ hours and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat about 400 degrees. Make sure to spray a high heat cooking spray on the grill or brush with vegetable oil.
- Grill chicken on the preheated grill, covered for 6-8 minutes on each side. For the last 5 minutes brush the reserved marinade on the chicken. Grill chicken to an internal temperature of 170 degrees.
- Remove and garnish with green onions. Enjoy!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear about your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!