These creamy garlic mashed potatoes are absolutely delicious. You won’t even need to add gravy. The red potato skins add so much flavor! This recipe was simple, and flavorful. It is a great recipe that you can tweak the ingredients to your liking. Add it to any main dish and you will have perfect Sunday family meal. This has become a family favorite and goes along great with meat loaf, steak or chicken. I am sure your family will love these garlic mashed red potatoes as much as mine did.
How To Make Garlic Red Mashed Potatoes
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
This mashed potato recipe is so easy. It only requires 7 ingredients that most people have around the house. Just add red potatoes, garlic, butter, milk, sour cream, black pepper and garlic salt. The first thing you will want to do is bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. I prefer to use a 6 quart cooking pot with a lid.
While you are waiting for the water to boil. You will want to quarter the red potatoes and set aside. Once the water starts to boil you will add the minced garlic and potatoes to the water and cover. After about ten minute check the potatoes to see if they are tender. Typically the cooking time on the potatoes is 10-15 minutes.
Once the red potatoes are done cooking. Combine potatoes with butter, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Mash together until smooth and creamy. I like to use my Kitchenaid mixer and mix them on low. You can also use a potato masher or hand mixer. Once the garlic mashed potatoes are mixed to your liking your can garnish with parsley, cheddar cheese or freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes Recipe
Garlic Mashed Red PotatoesCourse: SidesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
These Garlic Mashed Potatoes are so flavorful and are a perfect side dish with any meal!
2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup milk warmed
1 tsp garlic salt (can add more if desired)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 sour cream
fresh parsley (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place potatoes and garlic in a large pot and cover with water. Cook until tender but still firm, about 10-15 minutes. Drain, and place in a large bowl.
- Combine potatoes with butter, milk, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Mash together until smooth and creamy. I like to use my Kitchenaid mixer and mix them on low. You can also use a potato masher or hand mixer.
- If you feel like the potatoes are a little dry. Add more milk to make them creamier. Then top with fresh parsley and ENJOY!
- You may substitute the milk and sour cream with half & half.
- For fluffy results, heat milk and butter before adding to potatoes and mash
- For a healthier version you can substitute the sour cream with plain yogurt.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
More Comfort Food Favorites
- The Best Meat Loaf Recipe – This goes amazing with these garlic mashed potatoes
- Hamburger Casserole
- Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Gourmet Mac & Cheese with Tuscan Chicken