This creamy Cajun chicken pasta is a quick and easy dinner, making it a perfect recipe for a weeknight dinner. It is creamy, cheesy, and has just enough spice. This creamy pasta with juicy chicken and tasty veggies makes this chicken pasta recipe a fan favorite.
Creamy Cajun chicken pasta is a favorite in our house. If you are looking for a great way to spice up (no pun intended) your pasta night, this spicy chicken pasta recipe is the perfect solution. It is easy to make and will be on the table in no time at all. This recipe combines tender, juicy chicken, fresh vegetables, zesty parmesan cheese, pasta, and spicy Cajun seasoning, all smothered with a creamy, flavorful sauce.
One of the best parts of this recipe is that it can be cooked and ready to serve in under 30 minutes. This Cajun chicken pasta recipe is so easy to make, that you won’t mind making it for your family over and over again – they surely won’t mind it either! To make this creamy Cajun chicken pasta, you start by cooking your pasta. Once it is al dente, cook your chicken, peppers, and Cajun seasoning in a skillet. Next, you will add in your milk and cream cheese. That’s what gives this spicy chicken pasta recipe the creaminess that you are looking for. Stir the mixture until it is creamy, then add in your parmesan and pasta. When it is cooked to perfection, this Cajun chicken pasta recipe is ready to serve!
Why You’ll Love this Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe
- This is a one pan dinner that can be ready in under 30 minutes!
- This Cajun chicken pasta recipe is creamy, spicy, cheesy, and delicious!
- The Cajun seasoning gives this pasta dish just the right amount of spice.
- This chicken pasta dinner is a great way to sneak some vegetables into your diet.
- Creamy Cajun chicken pasta is a hearty, filling dinner that your whole family will enjoy.
Ingredients for Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Bow Tie Pasta: I used bow tie (farfalle pasta) for this cajun chicken pasta recipe but you can use any pasta you like. Penne, rotini, linguini, etc.
- Unsalted Butter: I prefer to use unsalted butter because you can control the salt content in your recipe.
- Minced Garlic:I prefer to use minced garlic in a jar because of how easy it is to use, but feel free to use fresh garlic for this chicken pasta recipe.
- Chicken Breasts: I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you can also use chicken tenders.
- Cajun Seasoning: is a Cajun spice blend of paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper and oregano. You can also use blackened seasoning for this spicy chicken pasta instead of Cajun seasoning.
- Salt And Pepper: Add more or less to your taste.
- Cream Cheese: Soften cream cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds prior to adding it to the skillet.
- Milk: I used 1% milk in this chicken pasta recipe, but you can use any type of milk.
- Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese: Will add the most flavor in this recipe.
- Red Bell Pepper: Remove the seeds and slice into thin slices.
- Yellow Bell Pepper: Remove the seeds and slice into thin slices. You can substitute one red or yellow pepper for a green bell pepper.
How to make creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions until they become al dente. Drain pasta, rinse it with cold water, and set pasta aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and continue cooking for 30-45 seconds.
- Add cubed chicken, sliced red and yellow bell peppers, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper to the skillet. Stir ingredients until seasoning has coated the chicken and peppers well. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and peppers become soft.
- Add milk and softened cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese has melted and the sauce becomes creamy.
- Add cooked pasta and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Stir well to combine all the ingredients and coat the pasta well.
- Serve immediately with garlic bread or a green salad. Enjoy!
Popular Substitutions & Additions
To make this Cajun chicken pasta recipe on the lighter side, use a whole grain or quinoa pasta, substitute butter for olive oil, don’t use the cream cheese, and opt for fat free cream cheese and parmesan.
If you don’t have bowtie pasta on hand, you can make this Cajun chicken pasta with a different type of pasta.
If you do not have Cajun seasoning or blackening seasoning on hand, you can make your own Cajun seasoning using paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper and oregano.
Storing & Reheating Leftover Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Once this creamy Cajun chicken pasta has cooled enough to store, simply place it in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you are ready to reheat the leftovers, place in the microwave for 60 seconds or until warm throughout. Add a dash of milk to make the spicy chicken pasta sauce creamy again.
What to serve with Creamy Cajun chicken pasta
This pasta is delicious served with French bread or garlic bread. I love dipping the bread into the sauce from the pasta. These Easy Homemade Parmesan Breadsticks and this Easy 90 Minute French Bread.
You can also serve this Cajun chicken pasta with a salad on the side. I usually go with a basic Italian salad (think Olive Garden) or a caesar salad.
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe FAQ’s
What does al dente mean?
I like to say that it means almost done, but technically al dente means to leave food still a little hard. With this recipe, that basically means that your pasta doesn’t have to be cooked all the way in step one.
Where can I find Cajun seasoning?
Cajun seasoning can be found on the spice aisle in most grocery stores.
Can I use Neufchatel cheese instead of cream cheese in this chicken pasta?
Sure! Feel free to use Neufchatel in this Cajun chicken pasta recipe.
Can I use a green bell pepper in this pasta instead of red and yellow?
Yes, you can definitely use a green bell pepper instead of (or in addition to) the red and yellow. peppers.
Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 8 oz. bow tie pasta
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 3 tsp. Cajun seasoning, more or less to taste
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into slices
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add cubed chicken, red and yellow bell peppers, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Add milk and softened cream cheese and stir until the cream cheese is melted and the sauce is creamy.
- Add cooked pasta noodles, and parmesan cheese. Stir to combine ingredients well. Serve immediately with garlic bread or a green salad. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!