The next time you’re tempted to buy French bread, give this 90 Minute French Bread recipe a try. Add fresh butter to it and you’ll find just how delicious it really is!
Want to make bread for your family that takes 90 minutes or less? 90 Minute French Bread is a super crisp bread on the outside but so soft on the inside. It’s the perfect bread for making right at home so that you can skip the store-bought loaf next time!
What is French bread?
French Bread is a type of bread made with white flour, water, yeast, and salt. But what sets it apart from other types of bread is its crisp crust and chewy texture. Traditionally, French bread takes several hours to make, but with this recipe, you can have fresh-baked French bread in just 90 minutes!
Ingredients to Make This French Bread Recipe
- Rapid-rise yeast – Also known as instant yeast – is the key to speeding up the proofing process. By using rapid-rise yeast and allowing it to proof in a heated water bath, the dough rises much faster without sacrificing any flavor or texture.
- Warm water – Heated to about 110 degrees Fahrenheit – is also important for activating the yeast and helping the dough rise.
- Hot water – Hot water is an important ingredient in the bread dough.
- Granulated sugar – While a small amount of sugar is common in bread recipes, it’s especially important in this one to feed the yeast and aid in rising.
- Salt – Balances out the sweetness from the sugar and enhances the flavor of the bread.
- Vegetable oil – Adds moisture to the dough, making it soft and tender.
- All-purpose flour – The traditional choice for French bread as it creates a delicate texture and crisp crust.
- Egg for brushing over the top of the dough – Creates a shiny, golden-brown crust.
How to Store 90 Minute French Bread
Allow bread to cool completely before storing it in a sealed bag or container at room temperature. Bread will stay fresh for 2-3 days. To extend the shelf life, wrap tightly and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw on the counter before serving. Enjoy your freshly baked French bread, now ready in just 90 minutes!
Tips for Making Homemade French Bread
- If you’d like a crust full of flavor, make sure you brush the bread with melted butter RIGHT before it comes out of the oven. YUM!
- You will want to use a rolling pin to roll out the dough before placing it in the oven, this helps to get rid of all of those pesky bubbles.
- If you’re looking for a warm place to let the dough rise, then place it by a window or you can even place it on top of a warm stove.
- You can serve this 90 Minute French Bread with any kind of soup you like, my favorite is vegetable soup!
FAQs for 90 Minute French Bread
Can I use bread flour instead of all-purpose flour?
While bread flour will work in this recipe, it may result in a denser texture. For the traditional French bread texture, we recommend sticking with all-purpose flour.
Can I make this recipe without rapid-rise yeast?
Traditional yeast can be used in place of rapid-rise yeast, but the rising time will likely take longer. We recommend sticking with the rapid-rise yeast for the best results.
Can I make this recipe into rolls instead of a loaf?
Definitely! Simply divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape it into rolls before rising and baking. They may take a few minutes less to bake, so keep an eye on them and remove them from the oven when they are golden brown.
What can I add to this bread?
Feel free to mix in your favorite herbs or sprinkle with grated cheese before baking for added flavor. Just be sure to mix them in before shaping the dough, and do not add too much additional weight, as it may affect the rising and baking process. Enjoy experimenting with different flavors!
If you’re wondering how to make French bread, then this recipe is for you! 90 Minute French Bread is so delicious you won’t ever want to try it any other way.
More delicious bread recipes
- Easy 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Best Sweet Cornbread
- Sweet Jalapeno Cornbread
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
Easy 90 Minute French Bread
- 2 Tbsp. rapid rise yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg for brushing over top of dough
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, dissolve your yeast in ½ cup warm water. Make sure that your water is warm (not too cold, not too hot). Let proof for 10 minutes.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine hot water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of the flour and mix together.
- Add proofed yeast to large mixing bowl and remaing 3 1/2 cups flour, one cup at a time, mixing after each cup,
- Once all the flour has been added, let the dough sit in the bowl for 10 minutes.
- Separate your dough into 3 equal pieces. On a floured surface roll each piece into a 9×12 rectangle then roll it up like a jelly roll. Shape into a French bread loaf and smooth out edges.
- Place dough on prepared baking pan, seam side down. Using a knife, make 3-4 diagonal cuts about ¼ inch thick in bread.
- Let the dough rise uncovered for 30-40 minutes in a warm place.
- Brush dough with beaten egg and bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too! Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!