This Cowboy Cookie Recipe is full of flavor and comes packed with chocolate chips, pecans, coconut, and oats. This bakery style cookie is THICK, has a soft edge, and a slightly gooey center. These loaded cookies are hands down the best cookies you will ever eat!
What is a Cowboy Cookie?
Back in the election year of 2000, Family Circle magazine had a cookie bake-off between Tipper Gore and Laura Bush. Tipper Gore made an amazing gingersnap cookie, but it was Laura Bush’s Famous Cowboy Cookie that took the prize. And it’s no surprise these cookies ran away with first place because they are SO good!
Laura’s Cowboy Cookies are big, chewy, and completely stuffed with so many mix-ins: oats, coconut, pecans, and of course, chocolate chips. They’re sure to win over any crowd.
Ingredients for thick and soft Cowboy Cookies
- Unsalted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- White Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chips
- Quick Oats
- Chopped Pecans
- Coconut Flakes
How to make thick and chewy Cowboy Cookies
I used a hand mixer for this recipe, but you can use your stand mixer if you prefer. Start by adding softened butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar to a large bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and mix until just combined. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and beat until fully combined. Mix in oats and stir well. Add in chocolate chips, chopped pecans, and coconut and stir with a metal spoon or spatula until all ingredients are fully combined.
Using a 1/3 measuring cup, divide dough into 12 equal balls and place on two large baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Allow the dough to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before baking. Bake cookies in a 400F oven for 11-12 minutes or until tops are lightly brown.
Remove from oven and allow Cowboy Cookies to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Tips for making the best cookie
- Chill the dough: Chilling cookie dough in the fridge is key to making the best cookie. Allowing the dough to chill in the fridge before baking allows the fat to cool. Your cookies will expand more slowly and will hold onto their texture and shape. If you skip this step you will end up with flat, sad cookies.
Cowboy Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes
- In a large mixing bowl add softened butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Beat with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon and mix until just combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix well to combine.
- Add in instant oats and mix well.
- Stir in chocolate chips, chopped pecans, and coconut until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring scoop, divide dough into 12 balls and place on a large cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Chill dough in the fridge for 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 400F and bake cookies for 11-12 minutes or until tops are slightly golden brown.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!