If you are looking for a quick and easy meal Hawaiian chicken in a crock-pot is the perfect recipe. It takes less than 5 minutes to prepare the veggies. Then all you have to pour in the rest of the ingredients into your slow cooker and you will have a delicious meal for busy nights.
Hawaiian Chicken Ingredients
One of my favorites things about this recipe. Is that most of the ingredients you can just dump in. Except for the onion and red pepper. But, those are cut into pretty big chunks so the preparation is pretty easy.
- Chicken breasts – I like to use whole boneless and skinless chicken breasts.
- Pineapple chunks – I just used canned pineapple chunks. You can also use fresh pineapple. You will need to cut up 2 1/2 cups of fresh pineapple and save the juices.
- Barbecue sauce – I used Sweet Baby Rays and it added the perfect amount of flavor.
- Red Pepper – Cut into chunks or thick strips
- Yellow Onion – Cut into chunks or thick strips
- Garlic – I prefer the taste that fresh garlic brings out in this recipe.
- Green onions – I used these to garnish and it adds the perfect amount of flavor.
How To Make Hawaiian Chicken In A Crock-Pot
This is one of my favorite Crock Pot dump meals. There is nothing better than an easy meal that will make you feel like you are in Hawaii.
Start by spraying your slow cooker with your favorite cooking spray. Then, layer the chicken breasts evenly in bottom of your slow cooker.
Next, chop the red peppers and onions into 1″ squares and spread them evenly over the chicken. Next, pour your favorite barbecue sauce over the chicken and dump in pineapple. Then, sprinkle garlic over all the ingredients.
Then, put the lid on the Crock-Pot and cook on high heat for 3-4 hours or on low heat for 6-8 hours. Make sure to check the chicken to make sure it has reached 165 degrees internal temperature. Then serve chicken and sauce over rice and garnish with diced green onions.
Crock-Pot Hawaiian Chicken Recipe Variations
- Frozen Chicken Breasts – If you are in a hurry you can use frozen chicken breasts. I have found that if they are 3/4″ or thinner. They will not require any additional cooking time. If they are any thicker start checking them every 30 minutes after the initial 3 cooking time. Until they have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Chicken Thighs – I have found that it works best to brown the skin and crisp it up. To do this add 1 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken thighs on each side for 3-4 minutes. Just enough to crisp up the skin and sear the outside of the chicken thighs.
- Shredded Chicken – If you prefer your chicken shredded. Remove the chicken from the Crock Pot and shred the chicken in a large mixing bowl with 2 forks. Then add the chicken back into the sauce and mix until completely coated.
- Thicker sauce – If you would like a thicker sauce. Remove the chicken once it is done cooking and set aside. Then add in 1/4 cup of corn starch and mix. Repeat until you reach your desired consistency. You can also leave out the juices from the pineapple chunks.
Hawaiian Chicken In A Crock-Pot
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 24 ounces pineapple chunks
- 16 ounces barbecue sauce
- 1 red pepper (cut into 1" squares)
- 1 yellow onion (cut into 1" squares)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- Spray Crock Pot with cooking spray and add in chicken breasts.
- Chop onions and red peppers into 1" squares and spread evenly over chicken.
- Add in barbecue sauce, pineapple chunks and garlic over chicken.
- Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours or on low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice and garnish with diced green onions.
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
Other Great Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
- Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken