This homemade guacamole recipe is easy, authentic, fresh, and packed with tons of flavor! To make this fresh guacamole, you’ll need some garlic, onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, and spices mixed in with delicious avocados. I’ll admit- this is the best guacamole recipe ever! It will be your go-to appetizer or add on with your favorite Mexican dinners.
In my opinion, homemade guacamole will ALWAYS trump store-bought guacamole! Having a deliciously fresh homemade guacamole recipe always works in a pinch, especially at family potlucks or BBQs.
You can whip up homemade guacamole in minutes! It makes for a great appetizer or add on to your dinner. Best of all- homemade guacamole is so easy to make!
Ingredients Needed To Fresh Guacamole
To make this guacamole dip, here is a quick overview of all the ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe as well as a few tips I’ve learned along the way:
- Avocados: This guacamole recipe calls for fresh avocados. You’ll want to make sure they are very ripe, which makes them easier to mash up!
- Roma Tomatoes: Perfect to give it extra flavor and makes it chunkier. Try to use the ripest tomatoes you can find because that is when they are at their best in homemade guacamole recipes.
- Onions: I like adding a little onion to my homemade guac because it enhances the flavor and complements all of the other ingredients.
- Garlic: I LOVE garlic! If you’re not a big fan of it, feel free to omit this ingredient. Don’t have any fresh garlic? You can use garlic powder. Just be aware that it won’t really taste the same.
- Jalapeños: Add this spicy pepper for an extra kick of spice that my family loves! If you prefer not to have too much heat, feel free to leave out this ingredient or use less of it. You can also use a serrano pepper or other types of peppers as well!
- Cilantro: This is an essential homemade guacamole ingredient, in my opinion! It really brings all of the flavors together. If you don’t have any cilantro on hand or just simply hate it, feel free to leave this out as well.
- Limes: Adding lime juice really adds a pop of brightness. It balances out the flavors and adds a delicious tangy taste to the guac!
- Seasoning: To really season this dip, I tend to lean towards onion powder, salt, and pepper!
Please note: For a list of exact measurements and instructions to make guacamole, scroll down to the recipe card located at the bottom of this post!
Tips For Making The Best Homemade Guacamole Recipe
The key to great-tasting guacamole is choosing the right avocados. You need to make sure that they are ripe, not bruised. The best way to check if they are ripe is the color. Dark green avocados are riper while lighter green avocados are under-ripe.
Another way that you can tell is if the avocado is firm, it’s not quite ripe. If the avocado is mushy, it’s overripe and will not work well with guacamole.
The other key to making authentic guacamole is the spicy pepper! A lot of people shy away from the jalapeño (or any hot pepper), but it adds so much depth and flavor.
Not into spice? Consider removing the seeds from the jalapeno because adding them to the guacamole. The seed is where most of the heat comes from!
Frequently Asked Questions About Guacamole
Before I show you how to make this homemade guacamole, here are a few questions I frequently get asked about this recipe:
How do I ripen avocados faster?
The best way to speed up the ripening avocados is to store them in a warm place. A window sill is a great place to get a little extra heat during the day.
If you are not ready to use your avocados immediately, store them in your fridge and this will slow down the ripening process.
Another way you can speed up the ripening process is to place them in a brown paper bag with a piece of fruit, such as a banana or apple. As these fruits ripen, they release a gas that will cause the avocado to ripen.
What is the easiest way to remove the seed from the middle of an avocado?
The easiest way to remove the seed is to strike the seed with a sharp knife. This will allow you to wiggle the seed out. You could also use an avocado kitchen tool to help you cut, remove the seed and scoop out!
How do I mash the avocado?
I find using a potato masher or pastry cutter works best to mash the avocado. But, if you do not have either of these, a fork will do just fine.
You will mash the avocado’s until it has reached the texture that you like. (I personally like mine a little bit more on the smooth side.)
How can I make this homemade avocado recipe spicier?
If the jalapeño is not hot enough for you, I recommend using a serrano or habanero pepper to really bring the heat!
What can I serve with guacamole?
Besides some salty tortilla chips, you can serve up some chopped veggies (like carrots, cucumbers, and sliced bell peppers) to serve alongside the guacamole. I also love to add a few spoonfuls on top of some chicken nachos or ground beef tacos.
Try Some Of These Family-Friendly Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe for homemade guacamole, take a look at some of these other delicious yet time-saving dishes you can make on those busy dinner nights:
- The Best Homemade Salsa
- Cheesy Rotel Dip
- Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 7-Layer Dip
- Fresh Peach Salsa Recipe
- 4 ripe avocados (peeled and pit removed)
- ⅓ cup red onion (diced)
- 1 large Roma tomato ( I prefer to remove the seeds)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (finely chopped)
- ¼ jalapeno (seeded and finely diced)
- 1½ cloves garlic (minced)
- 1½ Tablespoons ground black pepper
- ½ Teaspoon onion powder
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- 1½ Tablespoons lime juice (fresh squeezed)
- Remove peel and seed from avocado and add to a medium sized bowl. With potato masher, pastry cutter or fork mash avocados to desired consistency.
- Add Roma tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, fresh lime juice, onion powder, salt and black pepper.
- Mix all ingredients together. Best served fresh.
- Make to sure to rinse all the vegetables before cutting them up
- You can easily double and triple this recipe for larger gatherings
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear about your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!