Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe is packed with lots of flavor. Full of fresh ground beef, onions and green peppers in a sweet & tangy Homemade Sloppy Joe Sauce. The best part of the recipe is that it is ready in under 30 minutes and only uses one pan.
Homemade Sloppy Joes
The thing that I love most about this Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe is how easy it is to make. All you need is a skillet and ground beef. A few veggies and few spices and you have a hearty comfort food perfect for a fast dinner.
Sure you could use a pre-made sauce like Manwich, but why use a canned sauce like Manwich when this sloppy joes recipe is just as easy. You are getting fresh ingredients that have not been sitting in a can. Homemade sauce is so easy to modify the seasoning to your own taste. One of my favorite modifications is to add a little crushed red pepper.
What To Do With Sloppy Joe Leftovers
Sloppy Joe’s are the perfect freezer meal. While making dinner you can easily double the recipe and make extra to put in the freezer. Just make sure to store the buns and meat mixture separately. No-one likes a soggy bun.
- Refrigerator: You can store the meat mixture in the fridge for 3. Make sure to store it in a sealed container. Reheat the Sloppy Joe’s in the microwave or in a pan on the stove top.
- Freezer: You will want to seal the meat in a air tight container. When you are ready to use the frozen Sloppy Joe meat put it in the fridge the day before to thaw. Reheat the Sloppy Joe’s in the microwave or in a pan on the stove top.
Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup green bell pepper (minced)
- ⅓ cup yellow onion (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- In a large skillet heat butter over medium-high heat. Add green bell pepper and yellow onion. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and garlic to skillet and brown. While cooking break apart ground beef. Cook 5-6 minutes then drain excess oil.
- Add tomato sauce, ketchup, water, brown sugar, yellow mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, ground black pepper and onion powder. Stir well until combined.
- Cook ground beef and sloppy joe sauce over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened to your liking. Remove from heat and serve.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
Some Other Great Recipes
- Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
- Easy Green Chili Chicken Enchilada
- Best Baked Ziti Recipe
- Pasta Carbonara