Homemade Mozzarella sticks are so easy to make and full of cheesy goodness! The key to the best Mozzarella sticks is to freeze them first. Make them as an appetizer for your next party, but make sure to make plenty. They will be gone in the blink of an eye!
Who Loves Mozzarella Cheese Sticks?
The answer to that question is who doesn’t love Mozzarella Cheese Sticks. They are the perfect party appetizer. That are so easy to make ahead of time.
Every time my family goes out to dinner. My kids ask if we can order Mozzarella Cheese Sticks. They are always so cheesy and cooked to a golden brown perfection. So when I am at the grocery store I always by a box of the frozen ones.
But let’s face it. Fried mozzarella out of a box just is not that tasty. They come out soggy and the cheese tastes like an old rubbery shoe. I have not found one that even remotely tastes like the ones from a restaurant. So I tried to recreate my favorite restaurant’s recipe and here it is.
Mozzarella Stick Ingredients
- Mozzarella string cheese
- All purpose flour
- Italian bread crumbs
- Ground black pepper
- Onion powder
- Marinara sauce
How To Make Mozzarella Sticks
It is surprising how easy mozzarella sticks are to make. Plus they taste so much better then the store bought ones. But, there are a few tips that I recommend with these.
You will want to double bread these. So they have a thick shell to hold all that cheesy goodness in. Then you will want to make sure you can freeze them for 2 hours before frying them. This will stop the cheese oozing out while you are cooking them. It might be a good idea to make them and freeze them the day before your party. Then take them out and fry them so they are cooked fresh.
First, you will want to cut all the string cheese in half. You will end up with 32 pieces once you are done.
Gather 3 shallow bowls. In the first shallow dish add all purpose flour. In a second shallow dish, add eggs and beat lightly. Add breadcrumbs, onion powder, salt and pepper into a third shallow dish and stir to combine.
Working with one cheese stick at a time, dredge in flour, and shake off excess. Dip in eggs and tap gently on side of the dish to remove excess egg wash. Add to bread crumb mixture and press gently and roll in bread crumbs until completely covered. Repeat dipping in egg wash, then bread crumb mixture. Transfer to a sheet pan lined in parchment paper.
Next, freeze the homemade mozzarella sticks for a minimum of 2 hours. Do not skip this step or the cheese will ooze out when you cook them.
Grab a deep pot and add 3 inches of canola or vegetable oil into it. Heat the oil until it reaches 350 degrees. If you do not have a thermometer it will take 10-15 minutes on medium to reach this temperature. Add 3-4 cheese sticks to the oil at a time. Cooking them for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. A key to this is not adding to many at a time. So that it does not cool the oil down.
Layer paper towels on a plate and place fried mozzarella on the paper towels to drain. Sprinkle parsley on the mozzarella sticks and serve with your favorite marinara sauce. These are best served when hot.
I love to hear feedback on my recipes. Let me know if you like this Homemade Mozzarella Sticks recipe. You can comment below or send me a DM on any of my social media platforms.
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
- 16 String cheese cut in half the long direction
- ⅓ Cup all purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ Teaspoon salt
- ½ Teaspoon onion powder
- 1½ Cups Italian style bread crumbs
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 Cup marinara sauce
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- Cut string cheese in half crosswise.
- In a shallow dish add all purpose flour.
- In a second shallow dish, add eggs and beat lightly.
- Add breadcrumbs, onion powder, salt and pepper into a third shallow dish and stir to combine.
- Working with one cheese stick at a time, dredge in flour and shake off excess. Dip in eggs and tap gently on side of dish to remove excess egg wash. Add to bread crumb mixture and press gently and roll in bread crumbs until completly covered. Repeat dipping in egg wash, then bread crumb mixture. Transfer to a sheet pan lined in parchment paper.
- Freeze bread crumb coated cheese stick at least 2 hours.
- Fill a deep pot with 3 inches of oil and heat to 350 degrees. Add 3-4 cheese sticks at a time into the oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until they are a golden brown.
- Place the cheese sticks on a plate with paper towels on it to drain off excess oil.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with your favorite marinara sauce.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!