Homemade Meatball Subs are so easy and only require 6 ingredients to make. I don’t know about you, but I love easy, and tasy meals that require few ingredients! ThisHomemade meatball sub recipe can be on the table in 30 minutes and will become a family favorite.
Soft hoagie buns, stuffed with cheese, meatballs, and marinara sauce are the perfect combination to make the best meatball sub. When I’m short on time, I prefer to buy frozen Italian meatballs for this meatball sub recipe, but you can also use fresh meatballs. Cook them according to directions.
Ingredients to make homemade meatball subs
- Hoagie buns
- Frozen Italian meatballs
- Marinara sauce
- Sliced provolone cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Italian seasoning
How to make meatball subs
Place frozen meatballs on a lined baking sheet and bake according to package directions. While meatballs are in the oven, you can start preparing your subs. Lightly grease a baking dish and set aside. Place two slices of provolone cheese inside each hoagie bun and evenly spread 2 Tbsp. marinara sauce on top of cheese.
Once meatballs are cooked, remove from oven. It’s now time to finish assembling your homemade meatball sub. Place hoagie buns inside greased baking dish and add 6-7 meatballs inside each bun. Top each meatball sub with 1/4-1/3 cup marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese on top, and add 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning to each meatball sub.
Bake uncovered in a 350F oven for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes, turn oven to broil and continue to bake for an additional 2-3 minutes or until they are golden brown. Serve immediatly! Homemade Meatball Sub sandwiches are best served with potato chips, green salad, or our Veggie Pasta Salad.
- 1 lb. package frozen Italian meatballs
- 6 hogie buns
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 24 oz marinara sauce, jarred or homemade
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350F Bake frozen meatballs on a lined baking sheet for 15 minutes. Do not turn off the oven after meatballs have finished cooking.
- Once meatballs have finished cooking, remove from oven. Do not turn off oven.
- Add sliced hoagie buns to a lightly greased casserole dish and place 2 slices of provolone cheese inside each hoagie bun.
- Spoon 2 Tbsp. marinara sauce evenly over the provolone cheese.
- Add 6-7 cooked meatballs on each hoagie bun, and top will 1/3 cup marinara sauce each.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over top of each hoagie and top each hoagie with 1 tsp Italian seasoning.
- Bake meatball subs in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- Serve immediately! Enjoy
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
Other favorite recipes
- Ground Mongolian Beef Ramen
- Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
- Easy Creamy Chicken Marsala
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl