This One Pot Green Chicken Enchilada Soup is full of familiar flavors. Made with a chicken broth base, you can be creative with the never-ending topping options!
This One Pot Green Chicken Enchilada Soup has a traditional enchilada flavor but in a soup! Made with green enchilada sauce, chicken broth, and cream cheese, you are going to get the creamiest soup ever! This meal is perfect for a chilly night.
What is chicken enchilada soup?
Enchilada soup is a twist on traditional enchiladas, where everything is cooked in one pot and served as a soup. This version uses green enchilada sauce for added flavor and cream cheese for creaminess.
- Half and half – Half and half adds richness to the soup without making it too heavy.
- Shredded cheese – You can use Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack in this soup!
- Fat free cream cheese –Please make sure you check the recipe card to get a full list of the ingredients.
Chicken – It should be cooked and shredded chicken.
- Green enchilada sauce – One can of green enchilada sauce adds flavor and a little bit of heat to the soup.
- Low sodium chicken broth – Using low sodium chicken broth helps control the saltiness of the soup.
- The cream cheese will need to be softened prior to use in this recipe.
- Salsa verde – This is a green salsa that is super delicious in this soup.
- Salt – A touch of salt will help bring all the flavors together.
How to Store Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
This soup can be stored in the fridge for up to five days. To reheat, place in a pot on the stove and heat until warm. You can also freeze this soup for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating on the stove or in the microwave.
What can I serve Green Chicken Enchilada Soup with?
Serve this soup with some tortilla chips on top or with a side of rice. You can also add in some black beans for added protein and fiber.
Common Questions and Answers
Am I able to cook enchilada soup on the stove top?
Yes, this recipe is cooked on the stove top in a large pot.
Can I use a different type of enchilada sauce?
Sure! Feel free to use red enchilada sauce or even a spicy version for added heat.
Can I make this soup vegetarian?
Yes, simply omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Add in some black beans or corn for added protein and fiber.
What is the difference between green enchilada sauce and red enchilada sauce?
Green enchilada sauce is made with green chiles and has a milder flavor. Red enchilada sauce is made with red chiles and has a slightly spicier flavor. Both are delicious in this soup! Play around and see what you prefer!
Topping Options for Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
Some delicious topping options for this soup include diced avocado, diced red onion, sliced jalapenos, cilantro, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips. Get creative and add your favorite toppings!
Hopefully, this One Pot Green Chicken Enchilada Soup is easier than ever! Everyone in your family will enjoy a warm soup that tastes like enchiladas.
More delicious soup recipes
- One Pot Tomato Tortellini
- The Best Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Chili
- Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Soup
One Pot Green Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 lbs. cooked and shredded chicken
- 28 oz. can green enchilada sauce
- 24 oz. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 2 cups shredded cheese, Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack
- 4 oz. fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1 tsp. salt
- In a large pot add enchilada sauce, chicken broth, half and half, shredded cheese, cream cheese, salsa Verde, and salt.
- Whisk and heat soup until cheese is melted, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Served with sour cream, cilantro, or sliced avocado. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear about your experience. Getting feedback from you helps other readers and me too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!