This is the Best Potato Salad Recipe I have ever had! It is the perfect recipe for a summer BBQ or pot luck dinner. It is so rich and creamy and has the perfect amount of flavor. Plus, it has just the right amount of eggs and fresh veggies to give it a little crunch. None of your guest will realize how easy it is to make and will talk about it for years to come.
When I think of summer BBQ’s. This traditional potato salad recipe pops in my mind. My family always asks me to make this because it is the best. I love that I can make it the day before and it taste even better. Because the flavors have had a chance to marinade together in the fridge. Plus I don’t have to cook the day I have a party. So I can just kick back and enjoy my time with friends and family.
Potato Salad Ingredients
- Russet potatoes
- Red onion
- Green onion
- Red pepper
- Sweet relish
- Light Mayonnaise
- Sour cream
- Apple cider vinegar
- Onion powder
- Celery Seed
- Black pepper
- Yellow mustard
How To Make Potato Salad
First, start by adding 4 eggs to medium pot. Cover with water one inch above the eggs and cook on high. Once water begins to boil set a timer for 8 minutes. When done remove from heat and add cool water and ice immediately. Then Set Aside.
Next, peel and rinse 3 pounds of potatoes (roughly 6 medium sized potatoes.) Dice the potatoes into 3/4 pieces and add to large pot and add water. Cover with water one inch above the potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 until the potatoes become soft. Make sure not to over cook them or they will fall apart when combining ingredients.
Drain potatoes and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes. You want to make sure that the potatoes are completely cooled before adding the other ingredients. This is a very important step that should not be skipped.
While potatoes are cooling dice the eggs, red onion, green onions, red pepper and celery and set aside. You can cut them as large as you like, but I prefer to dice the vegetables into smaller pieces.
Next, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, mustard, onion powder, celery seed and milk to a medium bowl. Mix together until the ingredients are mixed together well.
Once the potatoes have completely cooled. Add the green onions, red pepper, relish, red onion, eggs and dressing to the bowl with potatoes. Mix gently until the potatoes are completely covered with dressing.
Place potato salad back in the refrigerator and allow to cool for a minimum of 45 minutes before serving. Over time the flavors marinade into the potatoes so the become more flavorful.
What Are The Best Potatoes For Potato Salad
I prefer to use russet potatoes. I think they are key to the Best Potato Salad Recipe. They have more starch then other potatoes. So it helps make the salad creamier. Plus I like their texture a lot better then any others. The trick to russet potatoes is that you can not over cook them or they become mushy. Idaho potatoes are very similar and can be replace russets if you can not find them.
I you prefer a firmer potato and to have the dressing coat the potato and not absorb into it. Yukon Gold or red potatoes are your best bet. Both of these potatoes stay firmer after they have been cooked. Many people with leave the peel on both of these.
Best Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 pounds russet potatoes (peeled, rinsed and diced in to 3/4 pieces)
- 4 hard boiled eggs (peeled and diced)
- ⅔ cup red onion (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup green onions (diced, white and green parts)
- ¾ cup red pepper (finely chopped)
- ½ cup sweet relish
- ¾ cup celery (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup light mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ tablespoons yellow mustard
- Add 4 eggs to medium pot. Cover with water. (Water lever should 1 inch above eggs.) Cook on high. Once water begins to boil set a timer for 8 minutes. When done remove from heat and add cool water and ice immediately. Set Aside.
- Peel and rinse 3 pounds of potatoes (roughly 6 medium sized potatoes.) Dice into 3/4 pieces and add to large pot and add water. (Water lever should 1 inch above potatoes.) Cook for 10-15 minutes (just enough to make them tender.)
- Drain potatoes and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes. (Leave longer if they are not fully cooled.)
- add mayonnaise, sour cream, apple cider vinegar, mustard, onion powder, celery seed and milk to a medium bowl. Mix together until fully incorporated.
- Remove cooked potatoes from the refrigerator. Then add green onions, red pepper, relish, red onion, eggs and dressing to the bowl with potatoes. Mix gently and mix until fully incorporated.
- Chill potato salad for 45 minutes to an hour before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
- I find that russet potatoes are my favorite with this recipe. But they can be substituted with red potatoes with the skin on or off.
- For a little more bite to this recipe add 1 more tablespoon of yellow mustard. You can also add 1 teaspoon of dill.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
Some Other Great BBQ Recipes You May Like
- Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- Veggie Pasta Salad
- Crock Pot BBQ Chicken – Pulled Chicken
- Easy Huli Huli Chicken
- Hawaiian Macaroni Salad