This is the best pumpkin roll recipe ever! A fluffy pumpkin cake that is covered in a rich cream cheese filling, is the perfect fall treat. It is simple and easy to make for even the newest baker.
In the fall I really love to start baking fun treats and goodies. I try to keep them simple, and easy so I can hand out baked goods to all of my neighbors. Some of my favorite fall dessert recipes are Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies and Perfect Peach Pie. These are some of my favorites because all my neighbors think I spent hours baking them.
Pumpkin Roll Ingredients
This pumpkin roll has the perfect blend of pumpkin, spice, and sweetness. There are so many different elements to this cake that makes it absolutely delicious. That is why it is the best pumpkin roll recipe.
Eggs– It is very important to whip the eggs for at least 5 mins. The reason for whipping the eggs is to break them up better before creating a batter. Breaking the eggs up before will help eliminate the chance of over mixing the batter.
Granulated Sugar– this is what balances the flavor in the cake and makes a sweet taste.
Canned pumpkin– Do not substitute canned pumpkin pie mix because it will already contain all the spices.
Lemon Juice– will help emphasize the pumpkin flavor from the canned pumpkin. You can use fresh lemon juice without the pulp and seeds, or you can use store-bought lemon juice.
Flour– standard flour works best for this recipe. Do not substitute other types of flour. You can however substitute a gluten free flour blend.
Baking Powder– use baking powder because there aren’t many acidic ingredients in this recipe.
Salt- is needed to perk up the depth and complexity of the other flavors in the cake. Salt will also provide a balance in the sweetness of the cake.
Ginger, Nutmeg, and Cinnamon– these are all key ingredients for this recipe. Each one will complement the other to create the perfect flavor.
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
This simple cream cheese frosting is the perfect accent for this pumpkin roll. It provides the perfect amount of sweetness to this cinnamon spice pumpkin cake.
Cream Cheese– make sure it is at room temperature to avoid lumps in the filling.
Butter– use softened butter so there are no lumps in the filling. Do not substitute margarine. Margarine has a different flavor and composition.
Powder Sugar– is granulated white sugar that has been pulverized to a powder and mixed with a small amount of cornstarch. Do not substitute.
Vanilla– you can use vanilla extract but i prefer Mexican vanilla because it has a stronger more potent flavor.
How To A Make Pumpkin Roll
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare a cookie sheet (you can also use a jelly roll pan) by spraying with nonstick cooking spray and lining with parchment paper. Lightly mist parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray. Using parchment paper is very important, it will help you when removing the cake from the pan and it will also help when rolling the cake.
- Mix together wet ingredients– Beat 3 eggs on high for 5 mins. Slowly add in 1 cup of granulated sugar and continue to mix until it doubles in volume and becomes fluffy and light in color. Stir in 2/3 cup of canned pumpkin and 1 tsp of lemon juice, and set aside.
- Mix together dry ingredients– In a separate mixing bowl mix together 3/4 cup of flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp salt. Using a spatula fold the dry mixture into wet mixture being careful not to over mix.
- Spread in pan– Spread batter evenly onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 mins.
- Roll cake– After removing the cake from the oven using the edges of the parchment paper carefully remove the cake from the pan placing it on a flat heat resistant surface. Starting at the narrow end roll the cake and place edge down on a wire baking rack. Let cool until room temperature.
- Prepare filling– In a mixing bowl add cream cheese, powder sugar, butter, and vanilla and mix well.
- Spread filling– unroll cooled cake until almost flat. Evenly spread cream cheese filling leaving a small edge. Carefully re-roll cake slowly removing parchment paper. Place on a serving plate and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serving- Right before serving dust with powder sugar, and cut to desired thickness.
Tips On How To Make The Best Pumpkin Roll
- For the best result make sure the cake is completely cooled to room temperature before adding the pumpkin roll filling. It the cake is warm at all the filling will melt into the cake.
- If you like walnut nuts they can easily be added. After you spread the batter into the pan sprinkle 1 cup of chopped walnuts.
- Make sure that you don’t over mix the batter for this pumpkin roll. When adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients make sure that the dry ingredients are blended together really well. Then gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. This will allow air to get into the batter creating a lighter cake.
How To Store A Pumpkin Roll
Pumpkins rolls are a great make-ahead item! You can either store it in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or you can freeze it for up to 3 months. For short term storage, you can either cover it in plastic wrap or put it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. For longer-term storage wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. To UN-thaw simply place in the refrigerator the day before serving. DO NOT microwave to UN-thaw, it will dry the cake out, and melt the filling.
Best Pumpkin Roll Recipe
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- ⅔ cup Canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- ¾ cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp Salt
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 8oz Package of cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup Powder sugar
- 6 tbsp Butter softened
- 1½ tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare a cookie sheet by spraying with nonstick cooking spray and lining with parchment paper. Lightly mist parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat 3 eggs on high speed for 5 mins. until fluffy.
- Gradually add in 1 cup of sugar and beat until mixture takes on a fluffy creamy appearance.
- On low-speed mix in ⅔ cup of canned pumpkin and 1 tsp. of lemon juice. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl add in ¾ flour, 1tsp baking powder, 2½ tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, ½ tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp salt, and mix.
- Using a spatula fold in dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Evenly spread batter into prepared cookie sheet and bake for 15 mins.
- Using parchment paper edges, remove from cookie sheet, and place on a flat heatproof surface. Carefully roll cake from short end to short end. Be careful to not roll to tight. Place roll edge down on a wire rack and cool completely.
- Prepare cream cheese filling by adding 1 8oz package of cream cheese at room temperature, 1 cup powder sugar, 6 tbsp of softened butter, and 1½ tsp vanilla extract to a mixing bowl and mix until smooth and blended.
- Carefully unroll pumpkin roll until mostly flat, and spread cream cheese filling evenly leaving a small gap around the edges. Slowly re-roll cake separating parchment paper from the cake. Roll from narrow end to narrow end. Place the roll on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and cool for at least an hour before serving.
- Right before serving dust pumpkin roll with powder sugar, and serve.
- Store leftovers refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!