Homemade peach pie recipe, just like grandma used to make! Made with a lattice crust and filled with the most amazing peach pie filling. There is nothing better than a fresh peach pie for an easy summer dessert.
I look forward to making this homemade peach pie recipe every year. I wish that peach season was not just in the summer. So that I could enjoy fresh peach dessert recipes all year long. But not to worry, because you can use frozen or canned peaches. You can enjoy this amazing fruit pie all year long.
One of the things that makes this so good is my easy pie crust recipe. It is so flaky and buttery that it melts in your mouth. I use this crust for just about anything that requires pie dough. But if you don’t have the time you can use a store-bought crust. You may need to cover the edges during the baking process. As the premade dough will cook a lot faster than homemade dough.
Lattice Pie Crust Ingredients
Not only is a lattice pie crust pretty, but it is functional as well. It allows the moisture from the juices to escape during the baking process. Fruit pies have a lot of moisture in them and it needs to go some where. The lattice design allows this to happen.
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
- Egg whites
Peach Pie Filling Ingredients
- Fresh peaches – I prefer fresh, but you can use fresh, frozen, or canned as well. See the notes below.
- Brown sugar – You can use light or dark brown.
- Lemon juice – I prefer freshly squeezed lemon. But you can also use bottled lemon juice as well.
- Vanilla – I prefer Mexican vanilla because it has more flavor. But if you are using imitation vanilla just double the amount called for in the recipe.
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cinnamon
Can I use Frozen Peach To Make Peach Pie?
This is my go to in the in months that fresh peaches are not available. Thaw them in your refrigerator and then drain any excess juice from them. To much excess juice will make the crust soggy.
Can I use Canned Peaches To Make Peach Pie?
Absolutely, You will want to make sure you drain them very well. Then pat them dry with a dish towel. You will not need to marinade the peaches for an hour. Marinading them allows for the sugar to break the peaches down and make them softer. You will not need to do this as they will be soft from the canning process.
What Are The Best Peaches To Make Peach Pie?
There are two types of peaches yellow flesh peaches and white flesh peaches. Both work well in this pie, but yellow peaches will give it the distinct look people expect from peach pie. This biggest thing you will want to look for is a ripe peach. It should not be hard and should squish just a little bit when you press it.
Homemade Peach Pie Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 16 tbsp butter (cut into ¼ slices and freeze)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp sugar
- ½ cup ice cold water
- 3 lbs fresh peaches (peeled, pitted, and sliced ¼ thick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white (lightly beaten)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- In a food processor combine all-purpose flour, sugar, and salt. Mix until well combined. Add half the butter and mix for 20 seconds. Then add remaining butter and mix until incorporated. Slowly add water to the dough and mix. Repeat 5-6 times until combined. Divide dough into two tight balls and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large mixing bowl add peaches, brown sugar, cornstarch lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. Completely coat peaches and let marinate for 1 hour. Scoop out ¼ cup of juices and set aside. Drain remaining excess liquid from peaches and add reserved ¼ cup of juice back into them peaches and mix. Set peaches aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator. Place one dough ball on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out in all directions forming a circle. Place an empty pie plate upside down on the dough and cut 2 inches around the pie plate. Fold the dough into quarters and place them in the pie plate. Softly press dough into plate and cut extra edges off.
- Remove remaining dough from the refrigerator. Place one dough ball on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out in all directions forming a rectangle. Transfer dough to a sheet of parchment paper and cut into 8 even strips.
- Scoop pie filling into prepared pie plate with dough. Then, lay 4 strips of lattice crust across the top. Then weave the remaining strips perpendicular. Creating an over-under look to form the lattice crust. Trim the excess dough off with a sharp knife and create a decorative edge by crimping edges with fingers.
- Brush the lattice crust with the egg wash. Then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over the top evenly. Place pie in the preheated oven on the middle rack and place a baking sheet on the lower rack to catch spillage. bake for 25 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes until the crust is a golden brown.
- Remove peach pie from the oven and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!