This is THE Best Meatloaf Recipe Ever with a mouthwatering brown sugar glaze! It is a savory and hearty combination of ground beef, eggs, tangy condiments (ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard), flavorful Italian bread crumbs, and Lipton Beefy Onion Soup packet, all baked together and topped with a sweet, ketchup and brown sugar glaze.
This meatloaf recipe is an easy weeknight dinner that is sure to become a family favorite. Not only is it tasty, but it is hearty and filling. Compare it to a hamburger, and your kids will be sold! They will be shocked to find out that it tastes even better than a burger because it is packed with flavor. The Italian bread crumbs, the condiment mixture, and the onion soup mix give it so much zest that every bite is a tasty treat. Top that with the sweet sauce, and you have an entree that is absolutely irresistible.
One of the best parts about this meatloaf recipe (besides how delicious it is) is how simple it is to make. I love to have my kids help, especially with the mixing. Once you have lined and sprayed your pan, you basically just mix up your ingredients and then squish them all together in a bowl. Once you press it in a pan and put it in the oven, you’ll whip up your glaze. Then just top the meatloaf with the glaze and bake for a few more minutes. The bake time of this dish gives you plenty of time to get your sides ready. In just an hour or so, you’ll have a tasty dinner entree ready for your whole family to enjoy!
Why You’ll Love This Best Meatloaf Recipe
- It’s the perfect combination of a savory meat mixture topped with a sweet glaze.
- This meatloaf is simple to make.
- It makes a tasty weeknight dinner that your whole family will enjoy.
- You probably already have all of the ingredients that you need in your kitchen!
- It is a very hearty and filling entree, and it pairs well with just about everything.
Equipment Needed To Make This Simple Meatloaf Recipe
- Baking Sheet
- Cooking Spray
- Large Bowl
Ingredients To Make The Best Meatloaf Recipe
- Ground Beef: I prefer 80/20 using a high fat content beef with make the juiciest meatloaf. If you prefer a leaner ground beef. I suggest adding more wet ingredients like ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and milk to keep it from drying out.
- Eggs: This is the key ingredient to help keep everything together.
- Ketchup: Used in both the glaze and in the meatloaf to add a tangy flavor.
- Worcestershire sauce: A key ingredient in meatloaf and adds so much depth of flavor.
- Yellow mustard: Helps add a little zing to the flavor.
- Breadcrumbs: Italian seasoning bread crumbs are my go to for this recipe. Because they add so much flavor. You can use any type of bread crumb that you like as long as are dry and not fresh.
- Milk: Used to add moisture to the breadcrumbs to help bind everything together.
- Salt & Black Pepper: I’ve listed recommended amounts since obviously you should never taste test raw meat. Add more if desired after cooking.
- Lipton beefy onion soup: This is what add the most flavor. If you can not find this Lipton onion soup will work as well.
- Brown Sugar: Perfect to add a hint of sweetness to the tangy glaze.
How To Make The Best Meatloaf Recipe
The first thing you will want to do is ditch the pan and bake this on a baking sheet. I have found that if you use a pan the meatloaf comes out mushy. So you will want to line the baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat it with cooking spray. Then set it aside and grab a medium mixing bowl. You will want to mix the eggs, milk, and breadcrumbs and set them aside.
Next, you will add the ground beef, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, salt, pepper, and Lipton beefy onion soup to a large bowl. Use your hands to mush and mix these ingredients until well combined. Then mix in eggs, milk, and breadcrumbs.
Once your ingredients are mixed well form it into an 8″x4″ loaf on the prepared baking tray. Then bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
How To Make The Best Meatloaf Sauce
A perfect blend of sweet and tangy.
In a small bowl you will mix the ketchup and brown sugar. Start the sauce about 5 minutes before the meatloaf is done cooking. Then spread the sauce over the meatloaf and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. The total cook time will be 55-60 minutes.
Why Does My Meatloaf Fall Apart?
The most common reason that your meatloaf is falling apart. Is that you did not use enough binding ingredients. This recipe calls for eggs and bread crumbs because they are key ingredients that keep the meat stuck together. Not letting your meatloaf rest is another common reason why your meatloaf is falling apart. Rest the meatloaf for 10 minutes. This gives the juices time to redistribute and settle back into the beef. This will also ensure you have the juiciest meatloaf.
What to Serve/Pair with Your Best Meatloaf Recipe
You can never go wrong with chocolate!
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Some people prefer gravy on top of their meatloaf instead of a sweeter glaze. Feel free to substitute your favorite gravy in place of the glaze.
- If you want some texture in your meatloaf, instead of the Italian breadcrumbs, toss panko crumbs with Italian seasoning.
- A non-dairy milk substitute can be used in place of dairy milk.
How To Reheat & Store Delicious Meatloaf Recipe
This meatloaf tastes delicious leftover! The flavors really soak into the meat. To store your leftover meatloaf, place it in a sealed container. Once it has completely cooled, place it in the fridge. It will last for up to 3 days. Reheat individual portions for 2 minutes in the microwave. For larger portions, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and heat for 20 minutes, or until warm.
This meatloaf recipe can also be frozen! Once it has completely cooled, place it in an air-tight, freezer-safe container and put it in the freezer. It will last for up to 6 weeks. When you are ready to cook your meatloaf, thaw it overnight in the fridge, then heat as directed above.
Best Meatloaf Recipe FAQs
You’ll want to mix this meatloaf mixture with your hands. This ensures that the seasonings and flavor will be spread to every bite.
Sure, you can use ground turkey in this meatloaf. Use a meat thermometer to check and make sure that it is completely done, as turkey has a different cook time than beef.
Nope, for this meatloaf recipe, you can use whichever brand is your favorite, but I’ve found that the Lipton brand pairs really well with the other condiments in this recipe.
Other Ground Beef Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Sheet Pan Quesadillas with Ground Beef
- Mexican Taco bake: bubble up pizza casserole with ground beef
- Easy Korean Ground Beef & Rice Bowl with Traditional Flavors
Don’t Forget To Come Back And Let Me Know How Your Best Meatloaf Recipe Turned Out!
Best Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef ( I prefer 80/20)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 cup Italian seasoning bread crumbs
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 packet Lipton beefy onion soup
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (packed)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. line your baking sheet with foil and spray with non stick cooking spray. Then set aside.
- In a large bowl add eggs, milk, and breadcrumbs. Mix together until well incorporated.
- Then, add ground beef, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, salt, pepper and Lipton Beefy Onion Soup. Use your hands to mush and mix the ingredients together until well combined.
- Form a 8″x4″ loaf on the prepared baking tray. Then, bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the brown sugar and ketchup. Spread the mixture over the meatloaf and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. The total cook time will be 55-60 minutes or until the meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 160F.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before serving (or it may fall apart)
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!