Homemade Baked Beans are slow cooked in a tasty Homemade BBQ Sauce that’s tangy, sweet and savory. Packed with bacon, ground beef, brown sugar, onions, green peppers, spices and a variety of beans. They are the perfect BBQ side dish. These BBQ baked beans are easy to make in the oven, in a slow cooker or in a dutch oven and so delicious!
What Do You Eat With BBQ Baked Beans
Homemade BBQ Baked Beans are the perfect side to any summer barbque and they are so easy to make. I love to make these with any type of grilled meat. Marinated chicken is one of my favorites. I recently just had these with some smoke baby back ribs and they paired perfectly. Recipe coming soon.
Any of these recipes will be the perfect compliment to my Homemade Baked Beans recipe. I always love to hear what you made with them. So tag me on any of my social media accounts.
What Kind Of Beans Do You Use?
I used a bunch of different types of beans including kidney beans, garbanzo beans, red beans, pinto beans and pork and beans. I like the different textures and flavors it brings to the baked beans. But, if you are looking for more traditional BBQ baked bean recipe you can just use Kidney and pork and beans. Just make sure to use the same amount of cans and make it a 50/50 ratio.
How Do You Cook Baked Beans?
I like the easy of using a crock pot, because of the size and that I can just dump everything in and let it cook. But if you don’t have a slow cooker or don’t like using one you can also cook these in a dutch oven. If you are using a dutch oven set the oven to 350 degrees and cook 60 to 90 minutes depending on the dutch oven.
You can also turn this into a one pot recipe and the easy baked beans in a large pot. All you need to do is follow all the same steps and then let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour just enough to make the beans soft.
Homemade Baked Beans
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans (drained)
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (drained)
- 1 15 ounce can red beans (drained)
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans (drained)
- 1 15 ounce pork and beans
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2½ teaspoons vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- In a large non-stick skillet saute bacon over medium-high heat until fat is rendered from bacon about 7-8 minutes. Drain grease and set aside.
- Add ground beef, diced green onions and diced green peppers to a large non-stick skillet. Cook until ground beef is browned and vegetables are tender about 7-8 minutes. While ground beef is cooking cut bacon into 1-inch pieces. Drain grease and set aside.
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, add drained kidney beans, garbanzo beans, red beans and pinto beans. Then add pork and beans. (Do not drain pork and beans.)
- Add cooked ground beef, onions, green peppers, bacon, garlic, black pepper, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and mustard to slow cooker. Mix well
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or until beans become soft.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or green onions and enjoy.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!