This Honey BBQ Baked Chicken recipe is made with tender chicken strips, rolled in a crunchy topping, and coated with a sweet and sticky honey BBQ sauce. Baked chicken strips are simple to make and will taste better than your favorite BBQ restaurant.
BBQ chicken strips are good any night of the week, and are even better on game day! Our baked chicken strip recipe takes less than 30 minutes for a delicious family dinner or an appetizer to feed a crowd. Crunchy breading for chicken, is as easy as it gets and adds the best crunch when biting into the chicken strips. If your family loves chicken as much as ours do, you are going to love our Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts and our most popular chicken dish Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl.
Ingredients for Honey BBQ Baked Chicken
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- All purpose flour
- Corn Flakes cereal
- Garlic powder
- BBQ sauce
How to make baked BBQ chicken strips
I love how these honey BBQ strips are baked and not fried. I’m always trying to find healthier versions of our favorite foods that we usually get at some of the popular restaurant chains.
Start by preheating your oven to 400F and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium size bowl add chicken strips and flour and coat chicken completely. Next, stir together lightly crushed corn flakes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika in a medium size bowl. In a small mixing bowl add 3 eggs and milk and whisk together. Dredge flour coated chicken in egg wash and then transfer to the bowl with corn flakes. Generously roll chicken in corn flake cereal, shaking off any excess. Place them on prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, turning chicken strips over at the 10 minute mark.
How to make the best honey BBQ sauce
This is hands down the best sweet and sticky honey BBQ sauce recipe. Honey BBQ sauce is easy to make and you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry. Crispy chicken strips are great on their own, but this honey BBQ sauce makes any chicken strip so much better.
While chicken strips are cooking add BBQ sauce, honey, and ketchup to a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat for 6-7 minutes. Once Chicken strips are baked, remove from the oven and let them cool for 3-4 minutes. Pour warm honey BBQ sauce over breaded chicken strips and toss to coat well.
Aren’t these crispy crunchy chicken strips straight out of the oven so beautiful? I’m telling you, you will look at baked chicken in a whole new light after making this baked chicken recipe. Serve along side your favorite French fries, potato chips, or place the chicken on top of a bed of lettuce greens, chopped tomato, diced eggs, cucumber, bacon crumbles, and your favorite ranch or bleu cheese dressing.
Tips for cornflake chicken
- You can use chicken breasts that are cut into strips, boneless chicken thighs, or chicken breast tenders. Depending on the thickness of your chicken you will want to adjust the baking time.
- You can crush cornflakes in the food processor or by placing them in a ziplock bag and lightly crushing them.
- Cornflake chicken breasts are better served immediately. They tend to become softer when placed in the fridge. To warm them up the next day place them in the oven or a toaster oven to restore the crispiness.
Honey BBQ Baked Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 cup flour
- 5 cups corn flakes cereal, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp, garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chicken strips in a medium size bowl and add flour. Toss to coat chicken well.
- Place corn flakes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a small bowl.
- Dip each flour coated chicken strip in the egg mixture, letting any excess drip off. Generously roll chicken in corn flake mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Place chicken strips on prepared baking sheet and place in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over at the 10 minute mark.
- While chicken is baking, prepare your honey BBQ sauce. In a small saucepan heat BBQ sauce, honey, and ketchup over medium-low heat for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let cool for 3-4 minutes. Pour warm honey BBQ sauce over chicken and toss to coat well.
- Serve chicken strips immediately.
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me at (@modernmealmakeover), so that we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
This was a hit. I used panko because I didn’t have any corn flakes. I preferred using the sauce as a dip to keep the chicken crunchy. It tasted great! Will definitely make again.
I love the addition of panko breadcrumbs. So glad you loved it.