This easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce recipe tastes amazing and is perfect for any busy weeknight. Made with items you probable already have in your pantry, ditch the store bought sauce because once you try this recipe, you’ll never go back to spaghetti sauce in a jar again.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce from scratch is an easy family dinner that can be made in 30 minutes, but will taste like you spent all day making it. We love to make this meat spaghetti sauce in large batches for freezing or canning when we want easy homemade meals quick.
This homemade pasta sauce can be served over your favorite pasta noodles for a family favorite meal that is easy enough to serve any night of the week. If your like me and enjoy vodka sauce on your pasta, try mixing our marinara sauce with our Homemade Alfredo Sauce.
Ingredients needed for Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Ground Beef
- Yellow Onion
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Italian Seasoning
- Dried Basil
- Garlic Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Minced Garlic
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Granulated Sugar
- Beef Broth
How to make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Start by adding ground beef and diced onion to a large skillet, cooking on medium-high heat until brown. Drain excess grease.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, dried basil, garlic powder, minced garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and beef broth.
- Stir to combine all ingredients well, and reduce heat to low. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite pasta noodle, parmesan cheese, and fresh chopped basil. Enjoy!
Can I substitute ground beef?
Yes, you can substitute the ground beef in this sauce recipe with ground sausage or ground turkey for a healthier version. When I have ground sausage on hand, I like to add 1/2 lb. ground beef and 1/2 lb. ground sausage.
Can I make spaghetti sauce from whole tomatoes?
Yes, you can make spaghetti from whole tomatoes and not canned. You will need to peel your tomatoes and remove the stem. The easiest way to peel tomatoes is by blanching them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes and then placing them in an ice bath. The skins can then easily be removed.
What is the difference between spaghetti sauce and marinara sauce?
Homemade Marinara is tomato sauce, but it’s a thinner, simpler sauce: It only needs to simmer for about an hour. Spaghetti sauce is a version of marinara, but it usually contains additional ingredients, like meat or vegetables.
How to freeze spaghetti sauce
This pasta sauce recipe can easily be made a head of time. Prepare sauce as directed above and allow to cool completely. Label a gallon size freezer bag and pour sauce into bag. Seal tightly removing all the air and place flat in the freezer for up 4-6 months. To use, place frozen sauce in a large pot and reheat until warm.
Other favorite recipes
- Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- The Most Amazing Cajun Chicken Alfredo
- Baked Cheese Tortellini
- Easy Pasta Carbonara
- Butternut Squash Ravioli
- Mozzarella Shrimp Pasta
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup beef broth
- spaghetti noodles for serving
- In a large skillet add ground beef and chopped onion. Cook on medium-high heat until brown. Drain excess grease.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, dried basil, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and beef broth.
- Mix ingredients to combine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite pasta and parmesan cheese. Enjoy
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
This recipe is super easy and fast to put together. I also liked most of the flavors, however, it was very spicy in my opinion. I would probably reduce the red pepper flakes next time and it should be better. Overall, good recipe, just keep spice in mind.
Glad you liked it, thank you for sharing!
Made your recipe today. Husband and I loved it! It is spicy but we love red pepper flakes ! Best sauce ever!
I’m so glad you both liked it. We love a little spice to our sauce too.
Made it, loved it! Both my husband and I enjoyed it very much. I was out of red pepper flakes so next time I make it I will add those but it was delicious without them.
So glad you liked it. If you like a little spice, you might like it with the red pepper flakes.
I wish I would have read these comments before making this recipe. I agree, too much spice and I would omit most of the red pepper flakes. My husband likes spicy foods and even he thought it was spicy. Otherwise, great flavors and easy to make.
Yes, reduce the red pepper flakes if you don’t like a little spice.
Surprised the list of ingredients didn’t include fresh or canned tomatoes.
Tomato sauce and tomato paste are a good base for the sauce. Feel free to add a can of tomatoes if desired.
This sounds amazing w Italian sausage. How much spaghetti would I make for this amount of sauce?
I usually just eye ball the noodles. Depending how much sauce your family likes will depend on how much noodles you make.