I love to make foods for different seasons, while these key lime cupcakes taste good anytime of year, I personally think they are the best in the summer. Anytime I make anything lime it reminds me of a vacation my family went on a couple of years ago to Key West where we had a piece of the best key lime pie I have ever had! It was so much fun, and I love that something as simple as key lime cupcakes brings those memories flooding back. These cupcakes are so easy and taste delicious, with a burst of lime flavor.
These key lime pie cupcakes are so easy to make. Its a great way to mix up a plain white cake mix just by adding lime zest and lime juice. Of course the key lime frosting adds a ton of flavor also.
How to make Key Lime Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Use 2 large (12 count) cupcake pans, or rotate batches using one pan. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners or you can use a non stick spray and lightly flour. On a side note now is when I set the butter for the frosting out so it can soften.
Mix together white cake mix (I used Betty Crocker) according to instructions. For the Betty Crocker mix I used 1 white cake mix, 3 egg whites (the yoke will add a yellow color), water, and oil. Add all ingredients and mix well.
Next you are going to add the zest and juice from 1 lime. The easiest was to do this is to wash the lime and let it completely dry. Nest you are going to zest the lime. You can either use a fine grater or a zester. Make sure that you only use the green part of the lime, the white part is very bitter. Now like lime is a little squishy, if your lime is not very soft simply roll it on the counter top between the counter and your hand. A squishy lime is perfect for juicing. Next, add the lime juice and the lime zest and mix well.
Using a 2 inch cookie scoop, distribute batter to cupcake evenly.
Bake cupcakes according to directions. For Betty Crocker white cake mix bake 14-19 mins.
When cupcake turn a golden brown remove from over. To check if Cupcake are done poke with a tooth pick. If the tooth pick comes out clean they are done. Let cupcake cool and start frosting.
Key Lime Frosting
This frosting is truly what make these cupcakes so good! I personally prefer a butter cream frosting to almost other frosting as long as real butter is used. Butter cream frosting is so easy to add different flavors to anything from vanilla, to almond to root beer! This recipe is a just a basic butter cream frosting with lime juice and lime zest added.
In a large glass bowl mix together softened butter, salt and vanilla. Once whipped add in cream.
Now I add the lime zest. Remember when zesting the lime only use the green part, the white part is bitter. Once mixed Gradually add in powdered sugar.
Slowly and in lime juice and mix well. If the frosting is still to think you can add either more cream of more lime juice depending on how strong you want the frosting. For a milder taste add more cream for a bolder taste add more line.
I chose to pipe the frosting on because I think it is faster, easier plus I think is looks so pretty. However, you can spread it on with a butter knife if you don’t have a piping bag and a piping tip.
Key Lime Cupcakes are tart and sweet dessert just like key lime pie. But, they are wrapped up in a fun little cupcake. Topped with a sweet key lime butter cream frosting and sprinkled with crumbled graham cracker.
Key Lime Cupcakes
- 1 Betty Crocker White cake mix For this recipe I used a Betty Crocker white cake mix. However, any white cake mix will work. Just follow directions on the box and add lime juice and lime zest.
- 3 Egg white
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup oil vegetable or canola
- 2 Limes 1 for the cupcake and 1 for the frosting.
- 2 tbsp Heavy cream Maybe more, depending on how thick you want your frosting.
- 4 cups Powered sugar
- 1½ tsp Vanilla
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 sticks Butter
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan, or grease and flour cupcake pan.
- In a large bowl mix together with a fork or a wire whisk, 1 Betty Crocker white cake mix, 3 egg whites, 1 cup of water, and 1/2 cup of oil.
- Wash one lime and dry completely. Zest and juice lime.
- Add lime zest and juice to batter, and mix well.
- Using a 2 inch cookie scoop distribute batter evenly into the cupcake pan. (If using only one pan, repeat the process after pan has cooled from first batch).
- Place in oven and bake for 14-19 min.
- When cupcakes are golden brown remove from oven and let stand for 2-3 min. before removing from pan.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
Key Lime Butter Cream Frosting
- Wash 1 lime and dry completely. Zest and Juice lime.
- In large bowl add 2 sticks of softened butter, 1½ tsp of vanilla, ½ tsp salt. Mix together using either a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the wire whip attachment.
- Add 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Mix in the zest from 1 lime.
- Slowly add in 4 cups of powered sugar.
- Last, add in lime juice from 1 lime. If the frosting is to runny add more powered sugar, if it is to thick add either more cream of more lime juice.
- Now you can either pipe the frosting on cooled cupcakes or spread on with a butter knife.
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!