Tender Asian Glazed Meatballs are made with ground turkey and smothered in a homemade sticky Asian glaze. These homemade meatballs are so easy to make and will become a family favorite dinner or the perfect appetizer for game day.
Simple Sticky Asian Glazed Meatball Recipe
Asian Glazed Meatballs can double up as a delicious appetizer or an easy weeknight meal. These meatballs are cooked in the oven and then covered in a sticky Asian inspired sauce. I love when a recipe tastes amazing, but also has the option of being healthy. Made with ground turkey, these meatballs are lower in fat but still pack the same protein punch. There is no question that this recipe will become part of your family dinner rotation. If you love these homemade meatballs you are going to love our General Tso’s Chicken and our Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein. They all go well with white rice or our Homemade Chicken Fried Rice.
Ingredients for Asian Glazed Meatballs
- Ground Turkey: Ground turkey, pork, chicken, or even ground beef are all great options.
- Sesame Oil: Adds a delicious Asian flavor to your meat.
- Plain Bread Crumbs: I recommend using plain bread crumbs over seasoned.
- Ground Ginger: Fresh grated ginger can be substituted for ground ginger.
- Eggs: Eggs bind together the meatballs and are essential in making homemade meatballs.
- Minced Garlic: If you don’t have minced garlic on hand, you can substitute it with garlic powder.
- Hoisin Sauce: Hoisin sauce can be found down the Asian isle in your local grocery store. It adds that delicious sweet and flavor to the meatballs.
- Rice Vinegar: I recommend rice vinegar, but it can be substituted with apple cider vinegar.
- Honey: Honey adds a nice sweet flavor and also gives it that sticky texture.
- Soy Sauce: I recommend lite soy sauce to cut down on the salt content in this dish.
- Siracha Sauce: Add more or less to taste or it can be omitted all together.
- Rice For Serving: White rice, brown rice, or noodles are all great options for serving.
How to make the best Asian Glazed Meatballs
If your anything like me and love Asian flavors, you will probable have most of these ingredients in your pantry already.
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine ground turkey, 2 tsp. sesame oil, bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp. ginger, 1 tsp. garlic and eggs that are lightly beaten. Mix ingredients with your hands until they are all incorporated well.
- Scoop our 1-1/2 inch meat mixture and form into individual balls.
- Place meatballs on a prepared baking sheet and cook in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the inside is no longer pink.
- While meatballs are in the oven, prepare Asian glaze by adding hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, honey, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp ground ginger, soy sauce, and siracha sauce to a large skillet and bring to a boil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until sauce becomes slightly thick.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and place them directly into the Asian glaze and toss to coat meatballs well.
- Serve immediately over rice or noodles and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onions if desired.
Ingredient tips for making Asian glazed meatballs
Meat: I prefer to use ground turkey in this recipe because of the lower fat content in the meat. If your worried your meatballs might be a bit dry with turkey, you can always use ground pork, chicken, or beef, but keep in mind those meats do have a higher fat content.
Breadcrumbs: I recommend using panko bread crumbs because of the crisp texture that it adds to the meatballs.
White Vinegar vs. Rice Vinegar: Rice vinegar has a sweeter flavor whereas white vinegar is harsh and sour. Rice vinegar has a touch of sweetness and acidity which accompanies Asian flavors well. I don’t recommend substituting white vinegar in this recipe.
More popular Asian inspired recipes
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken
- Pineapple Chicken
- Baked Sweet And Sour Chicken
- Bang Bang Chicken
- Sesame Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl
Asian Glazed Meatballs
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- 2 tsp. sesame oil, for meatballs
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs, plain
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. minced garlic, for meatballs
Asian Glaze Ingredients
- 2/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. minced garlic, for sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. sesame oil, for sauce
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. siracha sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease baking sheet.
- In a large bowl combine ground turkey, sesame oil, bread crumbs, ginger, eggs, and minced garlic. Mix well with your hands until all ingredients are combined.
- Shape turkey mixture into 1 1/2" balls and place them on a prepared baking sheet. Cook for 20-23 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in the middle.
- While meatballs are cooking, combine hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, honey, minced garlic, sesame oil, ground ginger, soy sauce, and siracha sauce in a medium-large skillet.
- Bring sauce to a boil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and place them in the Asian sauce. Coat meatballs well and serve over rice or noodles. Sprinkle sesame seeds and green onion on top for a garnish. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!