This Baked Chimichanga recipe is much healthier and easier to make than the classic deep-fried chimichanga. Flour tortilla’s that are filled with ground beef, refried beans, salsa, cheese, and baked to a crispy perfection. This is the perfect meal for any busy weeknight and will become a family favorite.
Baked Chimichanga ingredients
- Ground Beef
- Yellow Onion
- Refried Beans
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Colby Jack Cheese
- Butter, melted
How to make The best baked chimichanga
Our Baked Chimichanga recipe is easy to make and will be on the table in less than 40 minutes. Start by adding ground beef and chopped onions to a large skillet and brown over medium-high heat until beef is fully cooked through. Add in refried beans, salsa, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and stir to combine ingredients. Continue heating over medium heat for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and prepare your tortillas for filling.
Add 1/2 cup of ground beef mixture to the lower half of each tortilla and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Roll up beef and bean chimichangas, tucking in the sides so that the filling doesn’t fall out. Place each chimichanga on a baking sheet with the seam side down. Brush each beef chimichanga with melted butter and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until chimichangas are browned and crispy.
Remove Baked Chimichanga from the oven and top with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and cilantro. Serve immediately and Enjoy!
The BEST toppings
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Queso Blanco Sauce
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 can refried beans, I prefer fat free
- 2 cups salsa
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups Monterey or Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 -10 inch flour tortillas
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- In a large skillet add ground beef and onions and cook until brown.
- Add garlic powder, salt, refried beans, salsa, and mix well to combine ingredients.
- Continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Spoon 1/2 cup ground beef mixture on the bottom half of each tortilla and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Roll up tortillas, tucking in the sides so that the filling doesn't fall out.
- Place chimichangas on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, and diced tomatoes.
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!