Grilled Chicken Street Tacos are full of flavor, so easy to make, and is one of my favorite healthy dinner recipes. Marinated chicken grilled to perfection, wrapped in warm corn tortillas, and topped with fresh Pico De Gallo, cilantro, and fresh squeezed lime juice. These chicken tacos are sure to become part of your family dinner rotation.
Street Tacos are a classic! You can order them at your favorite Mexican restaurant, food trucks, taco stands, and now you can make them in your own kitchen. Chicken tacos are so simple to make and can be loaded with your favorite meat, and toppings of your choice. I love how easy these Grilled Chicken Street tacos can be customized to everyone’s liking. Mexican Street Tacos are perfect served with fresh Pico De Gallo and a side of Sweet Cilantro Rice or Authentic Mexican Rice.
If your looking for more delicious and healthy recipes, you are going to love our Salsa Chicken Taco Bowl, Grilled Chicken Quinoa Bowl, and our Crockpot Pork Carnitas
Ingredients for chicken street tacos
- Chicken: I have made these tacos with chicken thighs and breasts, and they both turn out great.
- Orange Juice: Orange juice is perfect for marinating meat. It is highly acidic and will tenderize your chicken.
- Lime Juice: Lime juice will also tenderize your meat and help break down the raw protein allowing the spices to penetrate and add flavor.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Vinegar also breaks down the meat and adds great flavor. White vinegar can also be used here.
- Minced Garlic: Minced garlic in a jar works well. It’s easy to use and I always have it on hand.
- Chili Powder, Paprika, and Oregano: This is a perfect combination of spices to add great flavor to grilled chicken.
- Salt and Pepper: Use more or less to taste.
- White Corn Tortillas (for serving): I love the flavor of white corn tortillas, but you can use yellow corn or flour tortillas.
- Cilantro (for serving): Fresh chopped cilantro pairs well with street tacos.
- Pico De Gallo (for serving): I love fresh Pico, you can find our recipe here. Store bough Pico also works well to save time.
- Limes (for serving): Cut limes into wedges and serve one wedge with every taco.
How to make street tacos
- Marinate Chicken: Prepare chicken marinade by combining orange juice, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, chili powder, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper in a ziplock bag. Add chicken and shake bag to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Grill Chicken: Once chicken has had time to marinate, preheat grill over medium-high heat. Spray grill with cooking spray and place chicken on the hot grill. Cook chicken for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 with a thermometer.
- Let Chicken Rest: Transfer chicken to a plate or cutting board and allow to rest for a few minutes before cutting it into bite size pieces.
- Assemble Street Tacos: Layer two warm corn tortillas and top with grilled chicken, Pico De Gallo, chopped cilantro and squeeze a lime over taco. Serve street tacos immediately.
- Additional Toppings: Street tacos are delicious topped with diced red onion, sliced avocado, sour cream, or hot sauce. They are customizable for everyone’s liking.
How to warm corn tortillas
Warming in the microwave: Wrap a stack of corn tortillas in a damp paper towel or a damp kitchen towel, then wrap them in saran wrap or place them in a zip lock bag with the seal left open. Microwave for 45-60 seconds or until warm and pliable.
Warming in the oven: Preheat oven to 350F. Wrap 5-6 tortillas in aluminum foil and place them on the center rack of the oven. Heat for 8-10 minutes or until nice and warm.
Warming on the stove: Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Warm tortillas for 15-30 seconds on each side or until tortillas are warm and pliable.
Tips for making street tacos
- Allow chicken to marinate for at least one hour. The longer you allow your meat to marinate, the more flavor it will have.
- Layer your grilled chicken and toppings between two warmed corn tortillas. Corn tortillas tear easily especially once you add a little moisture. Layering between two tortillas will create a sturdier and more filling taco.
- I love the flavor of chicken that has been charred on the grill, but feel free to place chicken in the oven, or cook it in a skillet on the stove.
- If you love to add a lot of toppings to your taco, you may want to use a larger flour tortilla.
Grilled Chicken Street Tacos
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 pkg. mini white corn tortillas for serving
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped for serving
- 2-3 limes, cut into wedges for serving
- Pico De Gallo for serving
- 4 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- avocado, sliced
- sour cream
- red onion, diced
- Prepare chicken marinade by combining orange juice, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, chili powder, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper in a ziplock bag.
- Add chicken and shake bag to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Once chicken has had time to marinate, preheat grill over medium-high heat.
- Spray grill with cooking spray and place chicken on the hot grill. Cook chicken for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 with a thermometer.
- Transfer chicken to a plate or cutting board and allow chicken to rest for a few minutes before cutting it into bite size pieces.
- Layer two warm corn tortillas and top with grilled chicken, Pico De Gallo, chopped cilantro and squeeze a lime over taco. Serve street tacos immediately.
- Street tacos are delicious topped with diced red onion, sliced avocado, sour cream, or hot sauce. They are customizable for everyone’s liking.
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
Absolutley amazing. This recipe was shockingly easy and fast. The chicken was so moist and tender.
So glad you enjoyed the tacos.
My husband stated that these are the best tacos he has ever had !! AMAZING ( and unbelievably easy ). Will take this on our camping trip for an excellent dinner. Thank you.
I’m so glad you loved them. What a great dinner to take camping!
This recipe was amazing! The marinade was super flavorful, my chicken thighs came out nice and tender. I chopped them into small pieces and cooked them in a skillet. They were delicious tacos with lime and pico, we added avocado and maybe next time some cotija cheese. Delicious!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it.
Could I sub the chicken for flank steak instead?
Yes, that would be delicious.
I’d like to make these for a party tomorrow. Because much of my prep has to be done the day of, can I start marinating the chicken today so it marinated overnight? It shouldn’t hurt anything right?
Marinating the night before will give the chicken more flavor. Should work out great.
That’s what I was thinking. Thank you for your help! I’m excited to try it 🙂
Happy to help. Enjoy!
Can I make this in a crockpot?
I haven’t made it in the crock pot, but I would just add all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 5-6 hours.
The yummiest Chicken Tacos! Thank you Thank you and Thank you!
So glad you love them. Thank you for sharing.