This copycat Chili’s skillet queso recipe is creamy, cheesy and delicious! With the smooth Velveeta cheese, flavorful beanless chili, and the perfect combination of spices, you will have a cheese dip in the slow cooker or stovetop that is just as delicious as the appetizer from Chili’s!
If you have ever been to Chili’s, then you are probably familiar with their popular (and delicious) skillet queso dip. It has always been one of my favorite appetizers, so I was super excited to be able to recreate it at home! This Easy Copycat Chili’s Queso Dip is my go to appetizer to serve at holiday parties, gameday events, and other family gatherings. This tasty cheese dip is super easy to make, and everyone always loves it. We almost never go home with leftovers! It is definitely a crowd pleaser, and you will have everyone asking you for your recipe before they leave.
This cheesy, flavorful queso dip can be made in only a few minutes, making it an ideal appetizer option if you are in a time crunch. All you have to do to make this dip is melt your Velveeta and add in milk to make it extra creamy. Once your cheese is melty and smooth, mix in your spices and chili. That’s all that there is to it! You can either make this in a skillet on the stovetop or in your slow cooker for easy transport.
Why You’ll Love This Chili Con Queso Recipe
- It tastes just like the original from Chili’s – maybe even better!
- This queso dip will be a hit with your whole family.
- You can make this appetizer in just a few minutes!
- This copycat cheese dip can be made on the stovetop or in a slow cooker.
Ingredients needed for Chili’s Copycat Skillet Queso Dip
- Velveeta cheese: I used Velveeta cheese in this chili con queso recipe, but I have also used the Kroger brand and it melted and stayed smooth when warm.
- No bean chili: I prefer to use Hormel no bean chili in this queso recipe.
- Milk: I used 1% milk, but you can use 2% or even whole milk and your queso will still be smooth and creamy.
- Paprika: Paprika adds a great flavor to this queso dip. You can always use smoked paprika if that’s what you have on hand.
- Chili powder: Adds flavor but not much spice.
- Cumin: Ground cumin is commonly used in chili dishes and adds great flavor.
- Cayenne: Cayenne will add a little heat to this queso. Add less cayenne depending on what you prefer.
- Lime juice: Lime juice is adds a little acidity to this dish. I prefer fresh squeezed, but bottled is fine as well.
How to make Chili’s Copycat Queso On The Stovetop
- Start by cutting up your Velveeta cheese into small cubes and placing them in your skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently until the cheese starts to melt.
- Add milk and stir until cheese has melted and becomes creamy.
- Add paprika, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and lime juice. Stir well to combine ingredients.
- Now add in your can of no-bean chili ( I use Hormel) and stir well to combine.
- Serve immediately with your favorite tortilla chips. Enjoy!
How to make Slow Cooker Chili’s Copycat Queso Dip
I love to make Chili’s queso in the slow cooker when we are having friends and family over for game day and all day snacking. It’s easy to throw in the crock pot and keep warm through out your party.
- Set slow cooker to the low setting and add all ingredients.
- Stir ingredients occasionally until cheese has melted and all ingredients are combined.
- For all day snacking, keep crock pot on low and stir if needed.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips. Enjoy
Popular Substitutions and Additions
For some extra spice, top your chili con queso with freshly chopped jalapenos.
This recipe calls for Velveeta cheese, and I personally love it. It makes this queso dip so creamy and delicious, and it is quick and easy to melt. If you’re not a fan of Velveeta cheese, you can substitute it with just a few simple ingredients.
- 3-4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Add the ingredients to a skillet and bring to a slow boil stirring constantly. Continue to make the queso recipe as directed below. This dip will be a little thinner, so you may need to add more sharp cheddar until it reaches your desired consistency.
Copycat Chili’s Skillet Queso FAQ’s
What size slow cooker do I need to use for this cheese dip?
You will want to use a 1.5 quart crock pot for this dip. You can use a larger one if that is what you have, it just won’t look as full.
Can I use canned chili with beans?
Yes, you can use chili with beans if that is your preference. If you prefer the consistency and taste of the queso from Chili’s, opt for beanless chili.
How do I store leftover chili con queso?
If you have any leftover queso dip, store it in the fridge in a sealed container. It will last for up to two days. To reheat, you can use the slow cooker, heat in on the stovetop on low, or heat in the microwave, stirring halfway through.
What To Serve With Queso Dip?
Skillet queso cheese dip isn’t just for dipping chips! There are so many other things you can try with queso. I’ve listed a few of my favorites below.
Vegetables: Carrots, celery, bell peppers, and cucumbers.
Flavored Corn Chips: Nacho cheese Doritos and Fritos are my favorite.
Bread: Try dipping some pita bread or toasted baguettes in queso, so yummy!
If you want to turn your chili con queso into a full meal, serve it with these tasty Easy Sheet Pan Quesadillas. The flavors pair perfectly together!
This copycat Chili’s queso is also delicious in a burrito or even in the middle of a crunchwrap – yum!
Be sure to come back and let us know how your Copycat Chili’s Skillet Queso Recipe turned out!
Other Favorite Appetizer Recipes
- Easy Crock Pot Cream Cheese Taco Dip
- The Best Classic Cheese Ball Recipe
- Sweet And Sour Meatballs
- Homemade Guacamole
- Homemade Ham And Cheese Sliders
- Simple Sticky Asian Glazed Meatballs
- Cowboy Caviar
- Rotel Dip
Easy Copycat Chili’s Queso Dip
- 16 oz. Velveeta Cheese, cubed. This is half of the large block
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can no- bean chili
- 2 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 3 tsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- Cut Velveeta cheese into cubes and add to skillet.
- Add milk to skillet and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add paprika, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, and lime juice. Stir well to combine.
- Add can of no bean chili and stir well until Queso becomes creamy.
- Serve immediately with your favorite chips. Enjoy!
CROCK POT INSTRUCTIONS
- Set crock pot to low
- Add cubed Velveeta cheese, milk, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, and no bean chili.
- Stir well to combine. Stir ingredients occasionally until cheese has melted and has become creamy.
- Keep crock pot on low and stir occasionally. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: This is a copycat version and not Chili’s Original Queso recipe.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!