This is a step by step recipe for homemade Horchata! This easy to make Mexican drink is perfect for hot summer days or just kicking back. It is the perfect drink to accompany any of your favorite Mexican recipes
What Is Horchata?
Horchata (pronounced or-CHAH-tah) is a sweet Mexican drink that is basically a sweet rice milk. It is served in many popular Mexican restuarants to compliment the spice in the food. It is so easy to make and every one will love this sweet and refreshing beverage.
Horchata is a tasty Mexican drink that takes just a few ingredients that most people have from around the house. The base of the drink starts with white rice and water. Then you will need evaporated milk, milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract and granulated sugar. If you are looking to add a little depth to horchata you can blend sliced almonds into it. Cinnamon sticks are a great way to garnish when serving.
How To Make Horchata
- Soak: Add water and rice into a blender or container and leave on your counter or overnight for at least 8 hours. The rice should be completely soft after soaking.
- Strain: Use a fine mesh strainer to separate the rice from the rice water solution. I you like texture in your horchata. Keep the rice in the water and blend it into the other ingredients.
- Add: Pour evaporated milk, milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract and granulated sugar into the blender. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until everything has been incorporated.
- Serve: Chill for at least one hour or serve over ice. Garnish with cinnamon sticks or ground cinnamon.
Horchata Mexican Drink Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 4 cups water
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- ½ cup milk
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pour water and rice into a blender or container with a lid. Let soak for 8 hours on your counter or until the rice becomes soft.
- Strain rice from the rice water solution and discard rice.
- Add rice water to blender and add cinnamon, vanilla extract, sugar, milk and evaporated milk.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until ingredients are completely incorporated
- Chill for 1 hour or serve over ice.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!