Homemade Orange Chicken is an easy family dinner that will be on the table in less than 30 minutes. Stir fried chicken breasts coated in a sticky sweet and zesty orange sauce will become your new favorite Chinese Orange Chicken. Skip the takeout and deep fried chicken for this Homemade Orange Chicken.
Orange Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken breasts or thighs
- Vegetable Oil
- White Rice
- Orange Juice
- Orange Zest
- Soy Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Hoisin Sauce
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Green Onions and Sesame seeds for garnish
How to make Orange Chicken
This is the easiest Orange Chicken you will ever make and is so much better than takeout. Start by making your orange chicken sauce. In a medium size mixing bowl add the juice from two oranges, zest from two oranges, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, hoisin sauce, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch slurry. Mix well, and set aside while you cook your chicken.
Next you are going to prepare your chicken. Cut chicken breasts into cubes and add to a large skillet with vegetable oil. Brown chicken until it is fully cooked and no longer pink. Be careful not to over cook chicken breasts, you don’t want chicken pieces to become dry.
Once chicken is cooked through, pour your homemade orange sauce over cooked chicken and stir to combine. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until orange sauce becomes slightly thick. Remove from heat, garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds if desired. Serve Orange Chicken immediately over white or brown rice.
Homemade Orange Chicken
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large oranges, you will need the juice and zest
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 cups long grain white rice, dry
- In a medium size mixing bowl add the juice from two oranges (3/4 cup), zest from two oranges, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, hoisin sauce, and red pepper flakes.
- In a small cup add cornstarch and water. Stir to mix well.
- Add cornstarch slurry to orange sauce and mix well. Set sauce aside.
- Prepare your rice according to package directions. While rice is cooking, prepare your chicken.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces and add to a large skillet.
- Add oil to skillet and brown chicken until it is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Once chicken is cooked, pour orange sauce into skillet and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the orange sauce becomes slightly thick.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve over white or brown rice. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
This was delicious!! It surprised us. We didn’t miss the coating on the chicken at all. I will definitely make this again.
I’m so glad you loved it. I like that it is healthier without deep frying the chicken.