Lasagna Roll Ups are a fun twist on classic lasagna. These are great for individual servings and for freezing later. Packed with a flavorful homemade meat sauce and cheese mixture wrapped up in a lasagna noodle. This recipe is perfect for your next family gathering or potluck.
What Is A Lasagna Roll Up?
Lasagna roll ups are a new twist on classic lasagna with out those messy squares that fall apart. They are the perfect portion and are much easier to make then layered lasagna. They have all the same great ingredients that we all love. Your family will be begging for you to add them to your weekly dinner rotation.
One of the best things about roll-up is that you can change up the ingredients. You can add a little spinach or swap out the ground beef for sausage. If you want to make a slightly healthier lasagna you can use ground turkey or chicken.
How To Make Lasagna Roll Ups
Do They Make Good Leftovers?
Lasagna Roll Ups taste even better the next day. It gives the meat sauce time to soak into the noodles and brings out so much flavor. They are even great to make ahead of time and stick them in the freezer for later. Here are a few tips if you are going to try either.
- Reheating: The best way to reheat left overs is in the oven. Bake at 375 degrees until the cheese starts to melt again. If you are reheating them from the freezer. Make sure to let them thaw in the refrigerator over night.
- Freezing: Make the recipe just like normal. Except line the baking dish with foil before adding the roll ups. This will help with freezer burn and keeping them fresh. Make sure to cover the top well to help them last longer in the freezer. These will last up to 30 days.
Lasagna Roll Ups Recipe
- 12 lasagna noodles (cooked to instructions)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (2 x 1 tablespoons divided)
- 24 ounces marinara spaghetti sauce (I used traditional Prego)
- ½ cup yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (finely shredded)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese (2 x 1½ cups divided)
- ¼ cup parsley (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat add 1Tbsp of olive oil. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking apart with a spatula or spoon. 3-4 minutes. Add ⅓ cup of yellow onions and cook until transparent. 3 minutes. Add ¼ tsp crushed red pepper, 1 tsp black pepper, ½ tsp Italian seasoning, ½ tsp salt and garlic. Mix well and saute for 1 minute. Pour in 24 oz of your favorite marinara sauce, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot bring water to a boil and add 1 tsp off salt and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Cook lasagna noodles to al dente according to directions listed on package. Then drain noodles and put them back in the pot and cover with cold water.
- While pasta is cooking prepare the cheese mixture. By adding ricotta cheese, 1 large egg, ½ Parmesan cheese, 1 ½ cups of mozzarella cheese and parsley to a large bowl. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Lay out cooked lasagna noodles and divide ricotta cheese mixture over noodles and spread evenly. Add a large spoonful of meat mixture to each noodle and spread evenly. Spread ⅓ cup of meat sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Roll noodles up jellyroll style and place seam side down in baking dish.
- Cover roll-ups with remaining meat sauce then sprinkle remaining 1 ½ cups Mozzarella cheese over roll-ups.
- Cover with foil and bake for 38 minutes in preheated oven. Then remove foil and bake for an additional 2 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!