These Easy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes will become one of your new favorite potato recipes. Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, make for the perfect side dish or appetizer.
Crispy smashed potatoes baked with garlic, parmesan, butter, olive oil, and herbs create a crispy outer skin and soft, fluffy middle. They are the perfect potato side dish or appetizer to compliment hamburgers, chicken, or steak.
If you ever find yourself craving crispy French fries but don’t want the fat from deep frying, you’ve come to the right place. Smashed potatoes are easy to make and are perfect served right out of the oven. They are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They are so delicious and just as comforting as your favorite deep fried French fries.
Ingredients For Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Unsalted Butter
- Minced Garlic
- Chopped Parsley
- Parmesan Cheese
How To Make Smashed Potatoes
1- Place Potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook covered for 30-35 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well.
2- Preheat oven to 425F.
3- Lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and arrange potatoes on the sheet. Using a potato masher or the back of a glass, lightly flatten the potatoes, making sure the potatoes stay in one piece.
4-In a small mixing bowl, mix melted butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley. Spoon evenly over smashed potatoes.
5- Lightly spray the potatoes with olive oil.
6- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove from the oven, and sprinkle parmesan cheese and return to the oven for a few minutes or until the cheese has melted.
7-Serve immediately with extra salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
What To Serve With Smashed Potatoes
Crispy smashed potatoes are a great side dish for everything from burgers to chicken. They are a lot like French fries minus the oil from deep frying. I’ve listed a few of my favorite main dishes that would pair well with smashed potatoes.
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts With Cream Cheese
- Baked BBQ Chicken Breast
- Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken
- Salsbury Steak With Mushroom and Onion Gravy
Leftovers And Storage
Smashed potatoes are definitely best when served right from the oven. If you happen to have leftovers, they can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. When you are ready to serve warm them in the oven for 5 minutes or until warm throughout.
What Potato Varieties Are Best For Smashing
I’ve tried a couple different varieties of potatoes and I have found that Yukon gold or red are perfect for smashing. Generally speaking, the fluffier the better, rather than the waxy potatoes.
Tips For Making The Best Smashed Potatoes
If you’re looking for perfectly crispy potatoes while having a soft and creamy inside, follow the tips I have listed below.
1- Allow the potatoes to dry well before roasting, getting rid of the moisture will produce more of a crispy skin.
2- Spray olive oil over your potatoes before placing them in the oven. Tossing the in some cooking fat before baking will give you crispy potatoes.
3- Gently smash the potatoes with a potato masher or the bottom of a glass. For a crispier potato, press down to create a thinner potato.
Other Favorite Potato Dishes
- Easy Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- The Best Funeral Potatoes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Garlic Roasted Mashed Potatoes
Easy Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- olive oil cooking spray
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- 3 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- Place Potatoes in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook covered for 30-35 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well.
- Preheat oven to 425F and lightly grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange potatoes on the cooking sheet. Using a potato masher or the back of a glass, lightly flatten the potatoes, making sure the potatoes stay in one piece.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix melted butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and parsley. Spoon evenly over smashed potatoes.
- Lightly spray the potatoes with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove from the oven, and sprinkle parmesan cheese and return to the oven for a few minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately with extra salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Have You Tried This Recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag us (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!