This Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is a quick and easy meal that takes less than an hour to prepare! This tasty and comforting rice casserole is made with white rice, broccoli, chicken breast, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, Ritz crackers, and cheese. It’s delicious a easy dinner recipe and kid-friendly too!
This recipe for Chicken Broccolini and Rice Casserole is one that the whole family will enjoy. It’s an easy week-night dinner that is kid-friendly and ready in just 30 minutes! It’s made with creamy sour cream, cheddar cheese, frozen broccoli, and white rice.
Plus this dish can be customized to your liking by adding different vegetables or leaving out ingredients like broccoli if you don’t have any on hand. If you want to make this a vegetarian dish, simply leave out the chicken, cream of chicken soup, and chicken broth and substitute for vegetarian-friendly options!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole with Ritz Cracker Topping.
- It is easy to prepare. The recipe is simple to follow, and the chicken broccoli rice casserole will be ready in less than 45 minutes.
- It’s a super delicious and comforting dish that you can prepare in your own kitchen. You don’t have to be a skilled chef to prepare this very yummy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole.
- It is a full meal. It contains protein, carbs, and veggies. It’s a substantial and hearty supper. It’s the perfect dinner to have after a long, exhausting day.
Ingredients For Your Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Unsalted butter
- Black pepper
- Dried parsley
- Garlic powder
- Low sodium chicken broth
- White long grain rice – Make sure to use long grain rice and not minute rice. If you use minute rice your casserole will turn out mushy.
- Frozen broccoli florets
- Cream of chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Onion powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- Ritz crackers
If you do not have cream of chicken soup on hand. You can substitute it with cream of mushroom, cream of broccoli or cheddar cheese soup. They will change the flavor a small amount. But the soup is more to help with the creaminess of the dish.
How To Make A Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
This cheesy chicken broccoli and rice casserole is one of the perfect freezer foods. You can double the recipe and put one in the freezer. Follow all the direction up to the point of baking. Then cover with foil and then wrap with plastic wrap. The casserole will keep in the freezer up to 3 months.
Start by preheating the over to 350 degrees. Then butterfly chicken by slicing horizontally into the chicken, dividing it half. Sprinkle salt, black pepper, paprika, dried parsley and garlic powder over both sides of the chicken breast.
In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat until melted. Add chicken and cook until golden brown on each side. About 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
Next, add one tablespoon of butter to the pot. Then, add chicken broth, water and rice and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes. Remove lid and stir rice and add broccoli. Cover and cook for another 8 minutes.
While broccoli is cooking chop cooked chicken into ½ cubes. Then, remove broccoli and rice from heat. Add chopped chicken, cream of chicken soup, milk, sour cream, onion powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined.
Transfer mixed ingredients to a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole baking dish. Then, crush Ritz crackers in package. In a medium bowl melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter. Add crushed Ritz crackers and mix together. Spread evenly over casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese evenly over casserole.
Cover casserole with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Then, Let casserole cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley.
What to Serve/Pair with Your Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole with Ritz Cracker Topping
- Roasted or sauteed veggies (asparagus, Brussel sprouts, or carrots)
- Green Salad with vinaigrette dressing
- Buttered mixed veggies (peas, carrots, and corn)
The best desserts to serve with this dish are palate cleansers.
- Fruit salad (Strawberries, Raspberries, Fruit salad (Strawberries, Raspberries, Mandarin oranges, Bananas, Pineapple, Kiwi, Green grapes and Blueberries)
- Fresh baked cookies (oatmeal, snickerdoodle, and key lime!)
- Lemon bars
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Cream of Chicken Soup Substitutes: Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Broccoli and even Cream of Celery can be used in place of the Cream of Chicken Soup.
- White Rice: Brown rice can be used, however, it takes longer to cook and requires more liquid than white long grain rice.
- Chicken: This is an excellent casserole for rotisserie chicken too; 2 cups is the ideal amount to use.
- Broccoli: You can also use fresh broccoli as a substitute for the frozen variety.
How To Reheat & Store Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Best Way To Store Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Leftover
Refrigerate any leftover Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole. You can either leave it in the 9 x13 baking dish covered tightly with plastic wrap or transfer the rest to an air-tight container.
How Long Will Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole Last In the Fridge?
The Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole will last in the fridge for up to five days in the fridge. It’s best eaten within 1-2 days.
Can I Freeze Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole with Ritz Cracker Topping
This casserole is an excellent meal to freeze, and it is best if it is consumed within 3 months after being frozen. Before baking the chicken casserole, put it in the freezer. Make sure the casserole is wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and covered with foil. Allow the dish to thaw overnight in the fridge, then bring it to room temperature on the counter for at least 30-60 minutes before baking.
How To Reheat Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
I often use the microwave to reheat frozen lunch-sized portions of Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole. If I have the time, I’ll bring it up to temp slowly using the oven. Reheat it at 350 degrees until warmed through. Adding a little water (a tablespoon or two) can help keep the rice and chicken moist upon reheating.
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole with Chicken Broth FAQs
Can you use uncooked rice in a casserole?
Yes, you can. Using uncooked rice requires additional liquid such as broth, milk, or water since dry rice absorbs liquid when being cooked. The rice will be crispy and undercooked if you don’t add additional liquid.
Can I use raw chicken in the casserole?
Yes, you can, but I do not recommend it. Sautéing the chicken adds flavor and removes extra moisture that could make the casserole soggy.
Can I make the chicken broccoli rice casserole healthier?
Yes, you can make it healthier. Brown rice or quinoa can be used. Reduce the amount of rice and increase the number of vegetables (broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, green peas, and bell peppers). For more protein, add more chicken. Use whole-wheat breadcrumbs. You can also use Cauliflower rice in place of the white rice.
Can I use crushed potato chips as a Topping or Fried Onion Rings?
Yes, you can use crushed potato chips if you do not like Ritz crackers. Also, if you want to add a little onion flavor fried onion rings, like French’s fried onions make a great topper for this casserole.
Why is my Casserole watery?
You may have added too much liquid or it may not be cooked long enough. If your rice and chicken are fully cooked but it’s swimming in water very carefully remove as much of the excess water as you can and place it back in the oven for 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it, a little water is better than soggy rice.
Other Casserole Recipes You’ll Love
- Homemade Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- Cheesy Ham Casserole
- Best Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Best Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (separated)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper (x2)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1½ cups white long grain rice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Ritz crackers (crushed)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butterfly chicken by slicing horizontally into the chicken, dividing it half. Sprinkle salt, black pepper, paprika, dried parsley and garlic powder over both sides of the chicken breast.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat until melted. Add chicken and cook until golden brown on each side. About 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of butter to the pot. Then add chicken broth, water and rice and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir rice, add broccoli and cover. Cook for another 8 minutes.
- While broccoli is cooking chop cooked chicken into ½ cubes.
- Remove broccoli and rice from heat. Add chopped chicken, cream of chicken soup, milk, sour cream, onion powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer mixed ingredients to a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole baking dish.
- Crush Ritz crackers in package. In a medium bowl melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter. Add crushed Ritz crackers and mix together. Spread evenly over casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese evenly over casserole.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let casserole cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience. Getting feedback from you helps me and other readers too!
Also, if you share on INSTAGRAM, use the hashtag #modernmealmakeover and tag me (@modernmealmakeover) so we can stop by and give your post some love. Thank you!
This sounds wonderful. A great combo of flavours and I can’t wait to make it.
Can’t wait to hear what you think about it.
What a delicious comforting dish. I am always looking for new ways to enjoy rice.
It is such a great recipe to have during the week.
I love a comforting chicken casserole recipe. The ritz cracker topping makes this so good! Thanks for sharing.
The topping is one of my favorite parts of this casserole.
Classic comfort food – this is one of my favorites!
I totally agree.
Can I leave out the sour cream?
The sour cream is a big part of this recipe for the sauce. But, you can leave it out if you replace it with something else. Some suggestions I have are plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
This looks EXACTLY like a casserole I used to make back in college – haven’t made it for years but now I am really craving it. Will try your version this time, looks to be even better than my old one!
I would love to know how it compares to the one you made back in college.
Just made this tonight, it came out amazing!! Thank you so very much
So glad you liked it.
Can you use long grain brown rice
Yes you can